cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between XI and BAPI????

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

1) What is the main difference between a BAPI and XI.

2) I know that XI will be picking up a folder containing records using some adapeter to post the records in SAP transcation. Am I correct here?

3) If I am correct. Is the main difference is that BAPI cannot post the records in to legacy system and XI can?

4) I know that main use of BAPI is to post the records at object level. I mean if there are any furhter changes in screens of SAP transcation, BAPI can still handle it. Does XI too supports this?

5) Can XI will help me to create a Purchase Order or Pay check or FB01?

your answers will help me answer my bunch of queries. Before I decide to use BAPI or XI where there should be bidirectional data for some intermediate oracle database from a legacy system to SAP.

6) Of course, If I had decided to use XI instead of BAPI. How would i know which table to be updated suppose if PO has to be created?

your answers in this critical situation will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SDN powered

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>1) What is the main difference between a BAPI and XI.

BAPI is just a function in R3

XI is a message broker and with it's use you can invoke this BAPI function

>>>>2) I know that XI will be picking up a folder containing records using some adapeter to post the records in SAP transcation. Am I correct here?

yes - via BAPIs or IDOCs

>>>>3) If I am correct. Is the main difference is that BAPI cannot post the records in to legacy system and XI can?

check question 1

>>>>5) Can XI will help me to create a Purchase Order or Pay check or FB01?

yes you can create orders via XI

>>>>6) Of course, If I had decided to use XI instead of BAPI. How would i know which table to be updated suppose if PO has to be created?

you will invoke either a BAPI or IDOC with the use of XI

so it's the same

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michal,

Very good replies to my question. That had cleared my doubts. Before i have allot points. I wish to you know what exactly is the real use of Adapters? I know that we map legacy fields and SAP fields to update. Is this for updating of table scenarios only?

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Adapters are used to get the data from the sender and after passing into the XI system we do conditions depending upon the the target needs. and passing the data to the receiver end with the help of adapter.Adapter is a mediater we can say

and not only for table scenario.

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Micheal and others

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no problem

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sdn fan,

BAPI is just a functional module in R/3 where as XI is a Integration broker meaning it can connect different systems with in your landscape, both SAP and Non SAP(eg. flat file system, R/3, datbase, webservice, Messaging System, EDI etc...) XI can also be used for integration of systems across the organisations...

Regards,

Jai Shankar.

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Michal has answered your all your questions excellently,

BAPI and XI

BAPI- Functional module does the task.

XI -Integration tool

Do not compare both and get confused.

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i guess you missunderstood the use of XI a little bit.

XI is central Integration plaform for SAP and non-SAP Systems.

Xi don't post data direct in SAP Transaction.

From XI you can call a IDOC, BAPI or RFC Module which do this.

And as well there are a lot of Adapters for lot of different communication technologies.

Regards,

Robin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Robin,

Great guess! "Xi don't post data direct in SAP Transaction." - is what i am thinking off.

What is the real use of adapters, if BAPI/IDOC are posting the records?.