cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting the length of an input field on a mobile device

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have created a simple type and set its length to some fixed characters. I have mapped this simple type to an input field. When I run this application on desktop it doesn't allow the user to enter characters more than the fixed length of the simple type. But this functionality is not available on the mobile ie. when I try to enter some text in the input field on the mobile device it allows me to enter as many characters as I want and the fixed length property of the simple type doesn't work here. Can anyone suggest me a solution for this. Reply ASAP.

Thanks in advance,

Murtuza

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murtuza,

We have also implemented this feature(Its client side validation....not to enter more than a fixed text).

It was workibg fine for both laptop as well as PDA.

May be some settings missing or there might me some features available in MI than we hard coding it.

Cheers,

Karthick

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Karthick,

Can you let me know what is the server side setting you have done so that the input field takes fixed character length on Handheld as well as desktop.

Lazio can you let me know the location where I can find the PDF file you have mentioned.

<b>- Chintan</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

From server side we did not do any specific settings....while designing tables itself we have given the length(Data Element)..

From client side some validations have been done thats it..so that only that much fixed length will be accepted...when we enter the fields.....

According to me ,if every thing is working fine in laptop and some issues with PDA(ofcourse the same application)..then we need to look at the compatability of the METHODS used at client side to the CREame with we are using in PDA......

We need to change accordingly...

Cheers,

Karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

You can download it from SAP Service Marketplace: http://service.sap.com

Try to search for the following archive 51030894.zip in Download section.

Best regards,

Laziz

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks guys for replying.

Laziz : I downloaded the PDF but that did not help me solve the problem.

Karthick : I am not sure what CREAME technology is.

Now let me try reframing the question. I have a application which is developed in NWDS 2.0.16 using Mobile WebDynpro technology and deployed on WAS SP 16.

In the application I have an input field. The requirement is to limit the user entry in that field to lets say 10 characters. So to achieve this I have created a simple type and attached it to the Input Field's context.

When I test the application on desktop the user cannot enter more than 10 chracters in the field. On other hand when I test the SAME application from a HP-iPAQ mobile device it allows user to enter more than 10 characters.

I want to somehow restrict the user to enter only less than 10 characters as it is in desktop. Is there any way by which I can achieve this?

<b>- Chintan</b>

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does anyone have a solution for this. I am also facing similar problem.

<b>- Chintan</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can check Enhancement Guide for SAP Mobile Sales client (MBS_MSR_20_SR1_R3_Enhancement_Guide_en.pdf). It contains an example of how to change the length of the field.

I guess you can re-use the code to trim the data you transfer over to SAP.

Best regards,

Laziz