Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration with Sametime

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I do have a few requirements where we are looking at :

A) Integration of Lotus Sametime with EP 6.0

B) There will be hyperlinks with reference to usernames. When user clicks on these hyperlinks, a Sametime chat should open.

The path that I have taken at this point is downloaded the Sametime Toolkit and my idea was to create a Web Dynpro UI and integrate with Lotus using these API's. However, I understand this will be a tedious process and if there are readymade solutions available, let me avail of that.

There are a few questions that come to my mind.

A) How to get the buddylist in EP 6.0 ?

Is there any URL link for this ? If yes, all we need to do is create a URL iView and I will have this buddy list.

Is anyone aware what will the URL pattern be ? for e.g. http://<hostname>:<port>/<appname>; etc..

Secondly do I have to configure Lotus Domino SSO using Ticket Verifier or LTPA before I integrate Sametime with EP 6.0 ?

Lastly, I have been searching service.sap.com, sdn.sap.com and help.sap.com for documents relating to this. Either I have not been able to successfully interpret or not enough documentation is there which tells me about this process.

I have referred the following links :

a) Enabling User Collaboration - Lotus Domino Integration with EP, I do not find any specifics for Sametime out here.

b) Overview of IBM Lotus Integration with SAP EP

Any help on this regard is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Subramanian V.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichaelSambeth
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Subramanian,

you find the Integration of Lotus Sametime including documentation and source code on the DVD of TechED 2005 (Session Code UP256). The integration is based on SSO with SAP Ticketverifier for Lotus Domino and ST-Links. You use Ticketverifier to get a Ltpa token based on the SAP logon ticket you send and then, in ST Links, you use the Ltpa Token for authentication with SSO. This is done by simply installing SAP ticketverifier and configuring a multi-server-session authentication. I recommend using a "dummy" notes page design element to actually copy the Ltpatoken cookie value into a string you need for the Javascript ST Links API.

The integration features iViews, JSPs and custom Java applications on WebAS. With Web Dynpro, you cannot use ST Links since ST Links requires a small Java applet for communication of your IM state.

In a recent project SAP Consulting demonstrated a server-side Sametime Integration with Web Dynpro as proof-of-concept using Sametime Bots.

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your reply. In fact, I was hoping you would reply. I unfortunately haven't attended last year's TechEd but in this year's TechEd 2006, I did attend the session of Lotus Integration with SAP.

>The integration features iViews, JSPs and custom Java applications on WebAS. With >Web Dynpro, you cannot use ST Links since ST Links requires a small Java applet for >communication of your IM state.

I have seen this application integrated as an iView in a portal page. In fact, I also obtained the url would be something similar to this :

http://<hostname>:<port>/stcenter.nsf

(The speaker of the session was kind enough to help me with this url).

As you say, I see that this url opens up a new applet window and comes out of the portal window. My only issue now is to run this applet within the portal window and not as a separate window.

Web Dynpro

-

I initially had Web Dynpro thought as I thought I would be using the jar files(of Sametime Toolkit) directly and communicate with Sametime server and refresh my window every 10 seconds using TimedTrigger UI. However, when I found that there exists a URL, why do the same with Web Dynpro ?

>In a recent project SAP Consulting demonstrated a server-side Sametime Integration >with Web Dynpro as proof-of-concept using Sametime Bots.

Where and how do I get this information ?

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Subramanian V.

MichaelSambeth
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Subramanian,

<b>regarding the ST connect client applet:</b> I made some tests using the Applet inline in a HTML Page. This does not really work since page navigation causes a applet reload. ST connect client applet is not stable when getting reloaded/reinitialized too often.

<b>Regarding Web Dynpro:</b>

Web Dynpro can leverage Sametime server-side. This means that the Web Dynpro JAVA application integrates with the Sametime server JAVA interface. For this purpose Lotus ships the Sametime JAVA toolkit. The UI layer is provided by SAP Web Dynpro JAVA.

The Sametime Java Toolkit provides a API for the Sametime Community and Meeting services, allowing Java developers to embed real-time collaboration technology into new or existing applets, applications, and web sites. The Toolkit provides both standard UI and access to the lower level Sametime services.

The Sametime Java toolkit provides APIs to all the client features available in Sametime and can be used with any standard Java development environment.

The sample application consists of two major parts: The Sametime Bot and the Web Dynpro Frontend. As Sametime programming is built around event-driven programming concepts the Sametime Bot registers for a bundle of services and traps for its events. It’s running in an own Java thread, get’s started once the user logs on successfully and get’s stopped through log off. The Web Dynpro application itself keeps a handle to the Sametime Bot, uses its services, polls for received events each 5 seconds and generates the user interface.

In order to fulfil this task the Sametime Bot has to implement the following two Listeners:

(1) The BLServiceListener which contains the method

public void blRetrieveSucceeded(BLEvent evt)

After calling the method getBuddyList()of the BudyListService blService this method is called by the Sametime server to indicate that buddy list request was successful. The buddy list itself is part of the event and can be retrieved via evt.getBL().

(2) The AwarenessService resp. AwarenessServiceListener which enables the Sametime Bot to maintain a watchlist to view and listen to changes of Sametime users. This is done through the method

awarenessService.createWatchList()

The resulting watchlist needs to be filled by all Sametime users of the buddy list.

<u>Sending Chat Messages:</u>

By clicking on an entry inside the buddy list the portal user may send an instant message to this user. For this purpose the Sametime Bot has an instance of the InstantMessagingService and implements the listener ImListener.

Through the InstantMessagingService the Bot creates an instant messaging session to the seelcted user by calling the following method:

imService.createIm(user, EncLevel.ENC_LEVEL_DONT_CARE, ImTypes.IM_TYPE_CHAT);

Once the session is created it is kept within a private vector to improve performance and enable a contrinous chat with the chat partner. After opening the session the method

public void imOpened(ImEvent e)

of the ImListener is called. Because the actual instant messaging session is part o fthe event the message itself is send via the following method to the partner

e.getIm().sendText(true, message)

<u>Receiving Chat Messages:</u>

Incoming Messages are also handled by the ImListener. Once the logged in user receives a chat message the method

public void textReceived(ImEvent e)

as part of the ImListener implementation is invoked. The text and the sender are part of the event and can be read by the methods e.getText() resp. e.getIm().getPartner() .

Because there is no realtime integration between the Sametime Bot and the Web Dynpro application the Web Dynpro encloses a a Timer UI element which refreshes the Web Dynpro each 5 seconds. During this refresh it polls the Sametime Bot for new incoming messages.

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your answer and your time spent on this.

Let me just summarize what you said:

<u><b>SameTime Applet</b></u>

ST connect client applet has inherent issues and not a recommended approach to integrate sametime with Portal

<u><b>Web Dynpro - SameTime</b></u>

We can leverage the ST toolkit and use it with Web Dynpro and re-create the instant messenger front-end application within the portal as a Web Dynpro application by utilising the ST toolkit jar files which communicates with SameTime server side.

Since your previous messages say that this has already been done by SAP Consulting,

is there a readymade solution as a business package available that we can avail of ?

Regards,

Subramanian V.

SRudra
Contributor
0 Kudos

Subramanianm,

Have you implemented sametime into portas. Kindly update this thread. I have a few questions:

1. From where do I get this ST toolkit? Does is come with Lotus notes DVD?

2. Do I need to the .jar files of the ST toolkit into my Webdynpros for doing the programmng stuff?

Kindly reply

warm regds,

Sukanta Rudra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sukanth,

Did you get any solution for integrating same time instant messaging with SAP EP ?

Regards,

Sreeram

Answers (0)