cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sender and Receiver IDOC config Settings

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys I have just come up with this document as a quick reference guide to enable me to be able to configure IDOC scenarios quickly and efficiently. Couls you please let me know if this looks ok and all is in the correct order.

<u>Quick Guide to Scenarios</u>

Note A Ports only purpose is to allow either the SAP R/3 Backend system to establish an RFC connection with XI or allow the XI to establish an RFC Connection with the Receiver SAP R/3 system.

Note An RFC Destinations purpose is to: A) Communicate with the SAP system

B) Pull metadata from either the Sender/Receiver SAP R/3 System or another reference system that contains the same IDOC.

<u>Sender IDOC Scenario</u>

When configuring an IDOC Sender adapter there are a few things that you need to configure before you even start with the Config Directory itself.

Because IDOC Adapter resides on the ABAP stack no sender agreement or sender Comm Channel is necessary

Your main configuration is in R/3. You configure R/3 to send the IDOC to XI so hence you don’t need an IDOC Adapter or Comm Channel.

1. You need to define an RFC destination to XI in the R/3 Backend system. (SM59). This RFC destination is used to retrieve the IDOC metadata from the sender system. The IDOC adapter needs these metadata to create the corresponding IDOC-XML message from the RFC stream.

2. Assign the destination to a Port in the R/3 Backend system (WE21)

3. Define your Partner Profiles for the IDOC you are trying to send and Reference that Port there as well (WE20)

Based on the above conditions, you do not need a Sender Comm Channel for IDOC or a Sender Agreement for the business scenario. Your only configuration in the Config Directory is to define R/3 as a Business System (no Comm Channel) and define the Receiver Business System along with the Receiver Determination, Interface Determination and Receiver agreement.

<b><u>I'm not sure if this step is necessary in the sender IDOC scenario</u></b> -

In XI box you must also define the ports in IDX1 which allows you to establish an RFC connection to pull the metadata in from the backend system, by specifying the RFC destination from where you want to get the info from. This system is defined by the sender port and the client in the IDOC control record. It is either the sender SAP system or an SAP reference system.

There are certain cases which you also need to use IDX2 (Cache). XI itself does need the IDOC metadata to execute the interface but it can usually use IDX1 to pull this data either from the SAP R/3 system or an equivalent reference system. However if there is already cached metadata and the IDOC has changed then IDX1 will not execute. In this instance you can pull this metadata manually using IDX2 (XI Box).

<u>Receiver IDOC</u>

When you receive an IDOC things are a little more complex. You do need a Sender agreement and Comm Channel defined. Again there is much to be done in XI and the R/3 Receiver system before you get to the configuration of the Config Directory.

1. In XI you must configure the RFC destination which enables XI to communicate with the Target System (SM59)

2. In XI you must then create the port which allows you to establish an RFC Connection. In this port you define the RFC destination you previously defined. (IDX1)

3. You then must also ensure that a Partner Profile has been established in the Target system which allows XI to send IDOC’s to the Target system. (WE20)

Once the above is completed you can then continue to configure your IDOC scenario in the Config directory. In your Receiver Adapter you reference both the Port and RFC destination that you just established along with the Release which is to be the Target systems release. You must also specify an Interface version which again is the Target systems version.

There are certain cases which you also need to use IDX2 (Cache). XI itself does need the IDOC metadata to execute the interface but it can usually use IDX1 to pull this data either from the SAP R/3 system or an equivalent reference system. However if there is already cached metadata and the IDOC has changed then IDX1 will not execute. In this instance you can pull this metadata manually using IDX2 (XI Box).

Apart from the above the rest of the steps in the Config Directory are as normal.<b></b><u></u>

Message was edited by:

Alex Ong

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK so are you saying that I should configure all of this so that XI can communicate and pull metadata from the Sender System?

former_member206604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

IDX2 is mandatory and you have to do it. Generally the IDX1 will get filled automatically if not you can import the metadata in IDX1.

Regards,

Prakash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prakash,

I think u got it wrong.

Alex,

IDX1 is mandatory and IDx2 is pulled automatically.

-Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my knowledge you need to configure port in IDXI in XI to pull the metadata.

Its a mandatory step to pull the metadata whatever be scenario like whether you are sending an IDoc or receiving an IDoc.

So please configure RFC destination, IDX1 and IDX2 in XI side.

Only after pulling the IDoc metadata you can proceed with any of the IDoc scenario.

Whenever there a IDoc is changed you need to delete the previous metadata and pull it again. In such situations you can use the already existing port in IDX1.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks and Regards,

Vineetha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amaresh.... So everything looks good and by following those guides I should be able to configure IDOC Scenarios easily.

Anyone else have any comments?

moorthy
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For Sender IDOC you no need to configure IDX1 in XI...

Amaresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok I wasn't asking about comm channels..... I was asking about configuring ports in XI using IDX1 is this necessay?

Former Member
0 Kudos

usually when i IDOC is a Sender you dont need a sender communication channel

Amaresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amaresh,

Thanks for your reply.... So everything is in the right order....

What about the part I included in the Sender IDOC side which I said I wasn't sure about?

Do you need to configure IDX1 in the XI when doing a sender IDOC Scenario?

Former Member
0 Kudos

ya, its looks fine...

Amaresh