Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneak NW and 4.7 IDES on same machine

martin_jonsson
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Has anyone installed Sneak NW, java and/or ABAP version on the same machine as 4.7 IDES? Any issues, problems, things to know?

My system is Win Server 2003 and oracle 9.2.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

I like to be sure too, so I took a quick look at the installation docs for the NW Sneak preview, which indeed states that no other SAP system may be present on the host. This reason for this restriction is that the NW Sneak preview does not use the standard SAP installation tool "sapinst", but instead uses InstallShield. The net result is, that you cannot change or set the instance number (or even the SID, for that matter) during the installation. Basicly, you are stuck with instance number 00.

If you did a default IDES 4.7 installation, then your IDES is also using instance number 00.

Offcourse not all is lost. You could remove the IDES 4.7 from your host. Then install the NW sneak preview, and finally re-install the IDES. The IDES does use the standard "sapinst" and now you can select a different instance number for the IDES; other than 00 which is now used by the NW Sneak preview.

Alternatively, you can fake the NW Sneak preview in thinking that there is no other SAP installation on the host and after the NW Sneak is installed change the instance number of the IDES from 00 to something else. This process is a bit involving and not for the beginner, but it would save a few hours of work

martin_jonsson
Participant
0 Kudos

I found a solution to the instance number issue.

The sneak NW04s SP5 allows you to change instance number. By installing this version instead of NW04s SP9, I can set my number to 01 instead of 00 and thereby save my IDES system.

At the moment in the process of testing this scenario..

Thanks a lot Frank for you time and effort!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

martin_jonsson
Participant
0 Kudos

Just to be sure: The Sneak ABAP installation guide says that no previous SAP system can be present. Is this true?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Installing both a NW Sneak and a 4.7 IDES on the same server running Windows 2003 with an Oracle 9.2 database does not present or create problems. The "sapinst" checks at install time, if other instances are running on the host and adjusts the instance number of the new installation. Just to be save, I would make sure that "sapinst" does not suggest an instance number that is already being used (This could happen if the SAPService<SID> service of the existing instance is not running)

Provided you have enough CPU power and RAM, you could run both instances simultaneously