cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Hierarchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear MDM Gurus,

How can I import hierarchy via import manager ?

How should my data file look like for importing Hierarchies ?

How to link each record to the ierarchy ?

Can importing of the Hierarchy be the last step in the import sequence meaning after my main table has been loaded.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Hari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends on how your source data is structured. If the levels of your hierarchy are denoted by a separator (such as ; or <) then simply set the delimiter (separator) and split the source column into a hierarchy. Then map the split field to the Name column of your hierarchy. Add all / whichever nodes (value mapping) as child branches to the root of the hierarchy.

Source example:

Level1;Level2;Level3

If the levels of your hierarchy are denoted by separate columns in your source, then use partitions to build your hierarchy and then perform the value mapping as above.

Source example:

Column1=Level1

Column2=Level2

Column3=Level3

etc.

Typically, you'd import your hierarchies <i>before</i> importing your main table so that when you import your main table data, you can map it to the already existing hierarchies (assuming the main table uses the hierarchies.) However, if you require, you can manually assign the hierarchies to your main table records after importing your main table data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark.

How do we associate a main table record with the hierarchy using the Import procedure ?

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks.

Hari.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your source data is in columns like this:

ColA = Prouct1 (a product name)

ColB = 10001992 (a product code)

ColC = London (a location; this identifies a node within a hierarchy)

When you're mapping the fields, you'll map ColC to your hierarchy <u>field</u> in the table (NOT the hierarchy table). Once the field is mapped, the Import Manager will display the values in the hierarchy table that the field is linked to. You'll then have to perform value mapping.

So, using the above example, your ColC source field would be mapped to your location field. The value "London" would (as an example) be mapped to a value in your hierarchy such as:

-Europe

---England

-

London

Hope I've explained this clearly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark.

Answers (0)