Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input help via RFC

IanStubbings
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I am using the NSP Preview system and wish to create an input help for a personnel number. Obviously the search help PREM is not available in the preview system, but I have a RFC connection to a development system that does.

My question, therefore, is what is the best way to code this search help? Do I do it via OVS or code it myself?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

There is no built-in RFC Based Value help in Web Dynpro ABAP. The delivered value help is designed to only run off of the local system.

So you have a couple of options.

1. You create a custom search help object in the data dictionary and use the search help exit functionality. In the coding of the search help implementation function module (which you can copy from the template - F4IF_SHLP_EXIT_EXAMPLE), you make your own RFC Calls.

2. Web Dynpro ABAP has a User-Defined value help option. When you assign the Input Help Mode to Freely Programmed to the attribute in the context node, you have the ability to tell it what component usage you want to use for the value help. You can then custom create a reusable sub-component with the appropriate RFC calls within in it.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/5d/395e4254139041e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

3. Similar to option 2, you might be able to use the OVS (Object Value Selector). Personally I haven't played around with the OVS very much to know how it would rate compaired to the other two options.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/30/d7fa41c915da6fe10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

IanStubbings
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

Many thanks for your help.

I have been attempting to implement the OVS component but no luck so far. I am getting an error message saying that the method 'SET_OUTPUT_TABLE' cannot be called. I am trying to follow the example from the Web Dynpro for ABAP book.

The debugger is not currently stopping in the on_ovs event but just dumps immediately.

Perhaps I will try your 1st suggestion for the time being!

Cheers

Ian

OVS is now working!!

I had forgotten to register the event with the OVS component.

Message was edited by:

Ian Stubbings

former_member193202
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

maybe that helps, we had the same problem and solved it very simple.

our search helps in our nw2004s system have a search-help exit (always the same one for all search helps) where we call a rfc-function which has as input-parameters the search-pattern and the name of the search-help in the r/3 backend.

in the backend we just call the 2 functions

f4if_get_shlp_descr and then

f4if_select_values

this works - in most cases - pretty fine

kind regards

oliver

former_member199351
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

How did you manage to do it? I have tries to follow your steps, but RFC module only allow to exchange simple line structures, and search helps utilize complex structures.

Thanks,

Alex

Answers (0)