cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some basic questions on File Adapter

Former Member

Hello all,

I have some basic questions on XI and File Adapter and hope you can help me. Any answer is appreciated.

1. Can I use NFS transport protocol to poll a file from a machine in the network, which is not the XI? Or do I have to use FTP instead?

2. If I understand it correctly - when using the FTP-File Adapter, XI has the role of a ftp client. I have to run a ftp server on my distant machine. XI connects to FTP-Server and polls the file.

Can it also be configured the other way round? The scenario I think of would be: FTP client installed on distant machine, which connects to FTP-Server(XI) and loads up a file. So XI would act as FTP Server.

I know this works, if I install a ftp Server on the computer my XI runs on, and use the NFS-File Adapter to observe the folder. But I want to know, if I need a second, independant ftp server for this.

3. And last but not least: When do I need the active ftp mode instead of passive?

Thanx a lot for your answers!

Ilona

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1<i>. Can I use NFS transport protocol to poll a file from a machine in the network, which is not the XI? Or do I have to use FTP instead?</i>

As long as XI can access this folder, NFS can be used. The fire wall and ports should be open.

<i>Can it also be configured the other way round? The scenario I think of would be: FTP client installed on distant machine, which connects to FTP-Server(XI) and loads up a file. So XI would act as FTP Server.</i>

I dont think this is possible. You use XI's file adapter to connect to a FTP server and cannot use another FTP client to access XI as an FTP.

Any special reason for this,. Can you give more details?

Regards,

Bhavesh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ilona,

This will help you to understand more,

http://www.ftp-server-tftp-lpd-bootp.com/

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi llona,

Just to add with others....

>>>Can I use NFS transport protocol to poll a file from a machine in the network, which is not the XI?

I asked exactly the same question in SAP Tech Ed and the speaker's reply was <i><b>"Technically speaking it is possible. But that is not the right approach. You need to have a ftp server running on the application server which is going to act as sender/receiver. The other option would be to have a local adapter engine installed on the appln server."</b></i>

Regards,

Jai Shankar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hello all,

> I have some basic questions on XI and File Adapter

> and hope you can help me. Any answer is appreciated.

>

>

> 1. Can I use NFS transport protocol to poll a file

> from a machine in the network, which is not the XI?

<b>yes</b>

> Or do I have to use FTP instead?

>

<b>also you can do it</b>

> 2. If I understand it correctly - when using the

> FTP-File Adapter, XI has the role of a ftp client. I

> have to run a ftp server on my distant machine. XI

> connects to FTP-Server and polls the file.

> Can it also be configured the other way round? The

> scenario I think of would be: FTP client installed on

> distant machine, which connects to FTP-Server(XI) and

> loads up a file. So XI would act as FTP Server.

> I know this works, if I install a ftp Server on the

> computer my XI runs on, and use the NFS-File Adapter

> to observe the folder. But I want to know, if I need

> a second, independant ftp server for this.

>

<b>XI cannot act as FTP server, but it is always a client. When XI is reading (File sender adpater) when XIis writing than it is File Receiver adapter</b>

> 3. And last but not least: When do I need the active

> ftp mode instead of passive?

>

<b>It depends on your firewall configuration. The best and the fastests is active mode but not always available.</b>

> Thanx a lot for your answers!

> Ilona

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>>1. Can I use NFS transport protocol to poll a file from a machine in the network, which is not the XI?

you can go for NFS

>>>>2. If I understand it correctly - when using the FTP-File Adapter,

In both directions - ftp - XI and XI - FTP XI connects to the FTP server

>>>>3. And last but not least: When do I need the active ftp mode instead of passive?

depends on your FTP <b>server </b>

(check your FTP server specification)

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>