cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL2000 upgrade to 2005 Netweaver2004

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Every one,

I have spent all day going trough messages posted in this forum to get my answer. However, I have more question which I hope some one can answer.

Currently I am running NetWeaver 2004 with BW component 3.5 on a 32bit sql 2000 server and Kernel 640. We are planning to move the hardware from 32 bit to 64 bit but our system is very slow and this is a project that might start in few months.

Our BW performance is very poor. I am planning to upgrade the SQL2000 to 2005 in the hope that will better the performance as a quick fix until the real upgrade from 32 to 64 bit starts.

My question is as follow:

1. Dose upgrade from 2000 to 2005 help the performance on 32 bit environment and why?

2. Do I need to upgrade NetWeaver 2004 to 2004s if I am upgrading the database to SQL2005?

I am sure I will have more questions down the road but If you know the answer to the above question please do so.

Regards

KG

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear KG,

To answer your questions:

1. SQL 2005 does offer some performance advantages on 32 bit platforms, however the two most effective actions you can take are:

a. Do a performance analysis check on your BW system

b. Upgrade to 64 bit operating system, DB and SAP kernel

2. Netweaver '04 (WAS 6.40 based systems) do support SQL 2005. You need to check 799058

I recommend you review the procedure I have developed for SQL 2005 upgrade.

Thanks

N.P.C

Former Member
0 Kudos

NPC,

I was hoping that you will reply and I have downloaded and read all your notes sometimes last week. Just want to let you know your documentation is great.

We are planning to move to 64 bit, however it is not going to happen any time soon so that is the reason I was thinking in the mean time to upgrade to SQL 2005.

When you say it will help with performance how much of difference will I see?

Also, I am new in BW environment and its my understanding that performance tuning on BW is some how different from R3. Do you have any documentation that can help me with performance tuning of my BW system?

Regards,

KG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

BW performance tuning is very different than R/3, this is for sure. It is also generally more difficult and requires some functional BW understanding.

I don't think the SDN community can help you with this!

I would not expect to see more than a 5% performance improvement with SQL 2005 on a 32 bit system that is already having performance problems.

I recommend you download the attachment to note 555223 and review each section carefully. This note refers to SQL 2000 (Someone will update this shortly) but is largely applicable to SQL 2005. Check that your system is configured correctly. Please also review 987961

Goodluck

N.P.C

Former Member
0 Kudos

NPC,

Thank you very much. This is what I was looking for.

Is there any thing wrong with the point system? Why is it I can not give any rewards?

Regards,

KG

Answers (0)