cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JAVA and BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I’m new to Java as well as SAP. I have taken the JAVA Basic course JA100 and have got a pretty good grasp on the language. We have not upgraded to NetWeaver but do have BW v 3.5 as well as WAS 6.4.

Is it possible to create an input screen and insert data to ztables using JAVA in a BW environment with systems I have in place?

Thanks,

Frank

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fransisco,

you can write an RFC enabled FM on your BW server which can be called from your java application with the java connector - JCo. The FM can then update your table. The java connector allows you to call any RFC enabled Function Module or BAPI and send/receive data. The java connector can be downloaded from service.sap.com and includes several examples.

The other alternative is, if permitted by your SAP and network policy, to connect via jdbc and directly update the table. This approach though is slightly frowned upon by BASIS administrators. But if it is a Z-table then you might get away with it. From a technical perspective there shouldn't be a problem doing this. For examples on doing a jdbc connect simply search using google. You should be able to find hundreds.

There is possibly one more alternative, and that is the BI Development Kit for java. It allows you to manipulate and extract data from SAP BW. However, I'm unsure if any functionality is provided for accessing DB tables.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Dion