Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem With Uploading PDF in Data Manager

RKothari
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am able to upload Pdf in Data Manager but it is Showing "Has Thumbnail " as 'False'. I am unable to see the Adobe Reader Icon on my PDF. It is giving "No Thumbnail " as an icon.

I am facing same problem when i am uploading image in Data Manager. Please suggest me the possible solutions.

I am using MDM 5.5 SP04 Data Manager.

Has anybody came across with this type of problem?

Help me out!

Rahul Kothari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

In order to create PDF thumbnails, you need to have Acrobat Professional installed. Having reader is not enough. For images, if you're trying to upload CMYK, EPS or any vector images, you need to have Photoshop installed in order for MDM to create the thumbnail. For other formats, it isn't necessary and you should see the thumbnail created. If you don't have photoshop, you may use the generate thumbnails option at a later time from a client machine where there is Photoshop installed.

-Neta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neta,

I tried to upload the image using MDM4J API. However, it is not creating the thumbnail. I tried to upload the same image from Image manager and noticed that the thumbnail is getting generated. I don't have Photoshop installed on my machine in both the above cases. Any idea on why this is happening? I am working on MDM SP03.

Thanks

Suman

> Hi Rahul,

> In order to create PDF thumbnails, you need to have

> Acrobat Professional installed. Having reader is not

> enough. For images, if you're trying to upload CMYK,

> EPS or any vector images, you need to have Photoshop

> installed in order for MDM to create the thumbnail.

> For other formats, it isn't necessary and you should

> see the thumbnail created. If you don't have

> photoshop, you may use the generate thumbnails option

> at a later time from a client machine where there is

> Photoshop installed.

>

> -Neta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

Thumbnails for images are <b>not</b> generated when uploading new images via the API's.

If you are adding images via an API, you will need to open the Data Manager from time to time, go to the "Images" table, select the relevant images and use the "Generate Thumbnail" right-click menu option.

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Walter

Is this a problem in the API or is that how the API is designed to work?

Thanks

Suman

> Hi Suman,

>

> Thumbnails for images are <b>not</b> generated when

> uploading new images via the API's.

>

> If you are adding images via an API, you will need to

> open the Data Manager from time to time, go to the

> "Images" table, select the relevant images and use

> the "Generate Thumbnail" right-click menu option.

>

> Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is by design. There are certain image types for which MDM requires MDM Data Manager functionality to create thumbnails. This functionality is currently not in the scope of the API's.

Walter

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am having a similar problem with regards to uploading PDFs via Data Manager. The only way I can get it to work is to change the value of "Allow Invalid PDFs" on the repository (Console > Right-Click the repository > Properties). Otherwise I get an MDM Server Error on the upload.

Even with this workaround, I cannot get MDM to create a thumbnail. Same MDM Server Error when I try to regenerate thumbnails.

I read that Adobe Professional may be required to do this, but after downloading and installing a trial version it hasn't fixed the problem. I have also tried Adobe Standard with no luck.