Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internationalization of wd app?

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

i followed the instructions in tutorial 16 (Internationalization of WD applications), that means, i've created 2 additional .xlf-files for each View & Controller. now i have:

MyView.wdview.xlf

MyView.wdview_de.xlf

MyView.wdview_en.xlf

MyView.wdcontroller.xlf

MyView.wdcontroller_de.xlf

MyView.wdcontroller_en.xlf

with the propriate source language.

But when I start the application, i only get the values of the xlf-files without the country-codes displayed.

I'm using two users for testing purposes, one with default language "de" & one with "en" & i've set the application to authenticate the users.

At the UI-element from type "date" I can see, that the default language is recognized, because the "de" user sees the format "12.01.2004" and the "en"-user sees "01/12/2004".

why aren't the localized .xlf-files used for the ui-labels/texts?

do i have to localize <b>every</b> xlf-file or just the ones i need to get this thing working?

kr, achim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

At runtime the Language specific text information is determined by session locale, that is specified for the current user by User management Engine.The sequence is

1. In case of Authenticated user ,the locale specified for this user is returned.

2. Otherwise locale specified by browser settings is returned if existing.

3. Otherwise default locale specified in application properties is returned if existing.

4. Otherwise default locale specified in Web dynpro system properties is returned if existing.

5.otherwise default locale of the VM is returned..

So in your case add the german language(de) in your browser settings and set it as the top priority one as said by sulakshana..

Regards,

Perumal kanthan.

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

since my application uses authentication i suggest, the language setting of the user-masterdata is used (and indeed it is, because the two test-users see different date-formats).

however, i've deleted my language settings in the browser, that were set to "de" and "en".

now, some of the views/xlf-files are used according to the userdata-language-settings, but some are still using the xlf-files without language-extension...

perhaps there's something wrong in the new generated xlf-files and the application uses the default-one as fallback? but there are no errors listed.

kr, achim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check whether the application was generated successfully

(open up the .ear file with winzip and do the same with the enclosed .wda file). Check for the generated resource bundles as .properties files if they are there and if the content is ok

Regards

Bruno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Achim,

The language setting of the browser determines which xlf file would be picked up(It can be done as Victor as mentioned).The language that u have specified at the top has the highest priority and hence the xlf file with corresponding language extension would be picked up.

Since you are able to see the default values it seems like ur browser language is english(which i think is the default if no language is selected).If you set the value to German(de) you should be able to see the labels/texts in German.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sulakshana.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sap help state that "if a language is specified in the browser settings of the users,then the application is displayed in this language". So, check that in your browser settings language is not set.

In order to do it do the following:

In Internet Exlorer go to Menu -> Tools->Internet Options->Languages and remove any preset languages.

Hope it helps.

Victor