cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running SAP XI in High Availability

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bonjour a vous tous !

I am looking for best practices when running SAP Exchange Infrastructure (3.0, well it is now XI 7.0 with the new NW2004s – SP9) in High Availability mode.

The customer that I work with does not know yet on which platform its production environment will be (Unix/Oracle vs Microsoft/SqlServer 20005). I know that some hardware vendor has built-in HA capabilities, either Software/Hardware based (MSFT MCS, IBM HACMP, etc).

Should we go for an "SAP XI all-In One" installation or distributed one ? Should we get one central SLD or one per environment? What is the role of the SLD and Solution Manager? Do they need to be interconnected?

I have worked with other EAI middlewares (Biztralk Server and webMethods) and normally the Integration Engine sit on it's own server and the various adapters are on their respective servers (i.e.: one server for HTTP, one server for FTP, one server for EJB, etc), since the sizing (RAM. Java heap memory, etc) for all theses adapters are different (FTP a lot of small file, EJB not so many request, but they could eat-up a lot of CPU, etc). Is this a best practice that I can apply also with SAP XI ?

Thank in advance for you help !

A+

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for your hints, it is very much appreciated!

Regarding the item #2 SLD, yes, if you can send me the guide, it will surely help me out / mosborne@groupecreatech.com - Merci!

Regarding, the fact that SAP does not recommend to decouple (split-out) the adapter, this mean that the only way to load-balance the inbound traffic, is to create multiple servers component (attached the Dispatcher) ?

Thank A+

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why Single SLD Approach is Recommended by SAP?

brian_arthern2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michel,

Well we seem to work along the same track...

I am working on 2 customers concurrently - the one using like you using PI 7.0. In their case we implemented a Windows solution using W2K3 Enterprise Edition 64-bit. Avoid 32-bit as it will no longer be supported by SAP next year. We are using MSCS (which is part of the Enterprise Edition by default).

The 2nd is a solaris customer (very large) for which we are using a cross-data center solution handled by Veritas Cluster Manager with automatic failover between systems and data centers if required.

Some answers to your questions:

1. All-in-one - yes

2. SLD - one for DEV/QA, and separate for Prod - this is recomended by SAP too - I can mail you a guide if needed

3. With Solution Manager 4.0, it now supports the J2EE side and hence can understand SLDs. The concept is to setup an HA Solution Manager and deploy the SLD for Prod on the same piece of kit.

4. SAP do not recomend splitting off the Adapter Engine except for specific cases, the main reason being if you have specific systems behind firewalls that you need to communicate with.

Under no circumstances should you have separate AE's per adapter - this would be an extermely expensive solution hardware and support-wise.

Regards

Brian

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

ABout SLD strategy SAP recommends to go with single SLD approach.-https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/9e76e511-0d01-0010-5c9d-9f768d644808

For High availability guide-

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/ee7fa790-0201-0010-5aac-a0b...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/30f8bd90-0201-0010-dd9a-c8a...

Regards,

Moorthy