cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade SQL Server 2000to SQL Server 2005 in an SAP environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a scenario in which we are going to upgrade SQL server 2000 to SQL server 2005 in SAP an environment.

Now SQL server has a concept of In-Place Upgrade and Side-by-Side Migration Process.I want to know what does both of these mean.

We have an SAP note(799058.It talks about the upgrade in Step II.Is it the same as In-Place Upgrade concept in SQL?

What is step III in the note talking about? Is it talking about Side-by-Side Migration?

It would be of gr8 help if someone could provide the conceptual knowledge on these and what does the note mentioned above talks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Please review my post on SQL upgrade.

You may also like to review

http://www.microsoft.ie/downloads/itprosql-90.ppt#568,17,Demo

Can you please advise your DB size and the max. amount of downtime your business can afford?

I will check, but I am almost sure that a side-by-side SQL upgrade is not appropriate for SAP systems.

Thanks

N.P.C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for ur response...

I need a generic type of information. I want to know whether side by side migration is possible in any case for SAP systems. If yes, from where would i find the Side-by-Side Migration Process Considerations ie) Precise steps.

Your inputs would be of gr8 help.

Regards

Abhi

0 Kudos

When you say "side-by-side migration" I guess you mean what SAP calls homogeneous system copy. Note 151603 covers this. This describes essentially the same thing as note 799058 section III. Refer to both notes if you migrate side-by-side from sql2000 to sql2005.