cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning of SAP R3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In general, if I clone the whole SAP system from 1 hardware to another (same hardware sizing, same IP address, everthing the same), will the SAP start in the new hardware ? Is there any configuration that i need to change to get effect on the new hardware so that i can startup SAP without any error?

Regards

Lauran

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We just upgraded our PRD server (R3 4.6C, MS SQL) this past weekend. We had no problem getting a license key once we had the HW key (~15 minutes).

The only glitch we had was not transferring the MS SQL settings to the new box.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The DR site will not be in the same location. So IP wise will not be an issue. We are using fix IP. But we are indeed using domain. So you mention that there will be a concern right ? What are the possible problem ? Btw, is licensing also a issue, since the hardware key is different.

Thanks for the continuous update

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem is, that you can not realy test this szenario without shutting down the productive instance.

Windows Domain controlers will detect that it is a backup of a node and will probably deactivate the computer account in the domain.

I should work, if you are removing the productive node from the domain, put the shadow node temporary in a work group and add it back again to the domain afterwards.

I would normally recommend to think about a MS Cluster (<a href="http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/6/f/76f3db2f-6f43-4624-bfde-ff731e3c1f96/GDClusters.doc">Geographically Dispersed Clusters</a>) for this kind of functionallity. I you include the database in this scenario or if you prefere a setup which uses a standby database is a different story.

regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

The purpose of cloning this system is for our Disaster Recovery exercise. Will there be any issue on licensing ?

Regards

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

plz be aware that

a) sap supports homogeneous/heterogeneous system copy as the only supported way to clone a system,

b) when changing the hardware (in terms of cpu) your license has to be renewed!

ergo...i doubt that the system will start accurately...dll is always an issue under windows and there will be lots of environmental issues as well...but: maybe it works...plz keep us informed!

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Is included.

Former Member
0 Kudos

including the operating system or excluding it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

A Standalone Configuration (using local users, computer is not member of a domain) would be no problem.

The things are getting more interesting when everthing is installed in a domain.

Nevertheless it is not possible to run two times the same computer using the same IP Adress in the same network.

How you are planing to fix this?

regards

Peter