cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NW2004s: SPS installation for dual-Stack-Installation (Java/ABAP) - PI(XI)

StephanZ
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

we want to apply a new SP stack to a NW2004s (ECC 6.0) - dual stack (Java/ABAP) with PI(XI).

The ABAP stack is sucessfully patched yet,

but the Java stack needs still to be patched!

In the SPS guide for SPS 9 and some OSS notes you can read that during the patching of the Java stack, the whole system (ABAP and Java engine) are restarted several times. But the JSPM should ask you before the restart.

Do you have experiences how long the patching of the Java stack will take (downtime)?

How often needs the system to be restarted?

Is it possible to work with the ABAP engine (ABAP development, etc.) during the installation of the Java SPS with JSPM until the system needs to be restarted?

How is it possible to minimize the downtime of the system during the Java SPS installation?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Stephan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephan,

"Do you have experiences how long the patching of the Java stack will take (downtime)?"

I believe this is most highly dependent on the hardware. Although some patches will deploy more objects than others, the deploy time is shorter on better/faster hardware. I applied SP9 on my laptop PC (java only, no ABAP stack) and it took a few hours total -- including my processing and error correcting time. My laptop has only 2 GB RAM so this process was greatly slowed by the amount of available memory (I was running other applications, like Outlook, etc.) resulting in a lot of disk swapping.

"How often needs the system to be restarted?"

Again, I have a java only installation, no ABAP, but I believe there was only 1-2 system restarts. The system had to be restarted after the application of the java kernel part of the patch, then shutdown and restarted again for the offline deployment phase. I cannot remember if there was a restart after the online deployment phase.

"Is it possible to work with the ABAP engine (ABAP development, etc.) during the installation of the Java SPS with JSPM until the system needs to be restarted?"

Yes.

"How is it possible to minimize the downtime of the system during the Java SPS installation?"

I think the best way is to have the best hardware! Also, be sure to be thoroughly prepared by reading the guide, all of the Notes, etc. I was slowed by a previously correctable error (my administrator password had been previously changed and I had not changed it in the secure store -- Note 701654).

Best Regards,

Matt