Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One SAP R/3, two DBs.. Is it possible?

peter_jarsunek
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys!

I'm not sure, if this is suitable forum for this question, but I didn't found any better

Well, our customer wants for some specific reasons use 2 DBs. One will be "classic", 2nd will be used to store specific PM data, which will be loaded to this database by direct integration from other systems.

Is it possible for one SAP system to use this 2 DBs correctly? Is it possible for SAP R/3 to work with 2 databases?

Thanx for answer!

Peter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

DEAR SIR

PLEASE CONFIRM ME WHAT IS OFFLINE AND ONLINE BACKUP IN BASIS DATA BASE SERVER.

AMIT SRIVASTAVA

michael-john_turner
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can't do it using standard SAP functionality (eg you can't store PM works orders in a separate database). If it's custom functionality, you could access the other database using the DBConnect interface, for which there is a specific API and which allows ABAP code to access external databases. The only limitation is that the database must be one supported by SAP (ie SQL Server, MaxDB, DB2, Oracle).

For more info on DBConnect search for "dbconnect" in the Service Marketplace notes search. Although some of the notes reference BW, the functionality is available in any SAP NW AS ABAP system. The ABAP API is available either via Native SQL statements or the CL_SQL* classes in newer (6.10 and later) systems.

MJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is not possible the way you want it.

The easiest way to seperate data is to make different clients in the same system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I didnt hear about it before. Suggest your customer to have the PM data in another client of your system if they want to have the data separated but in the same system, or in the last case create another instance for this type of PM data.

Hope it helps you,

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

The only way i seen SAP using two DB's is when using a content server to store images, documents, etc...

In this case SAP will use a DB and the content server will use SAPDB for content repository.

hope this help!

Juan

Please reward with points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per my knowledge it's NOT possible.