Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt in Generating Function!!!!!:(

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

It is said that

"A target field with maxOccurs=<n> that is assigned a generating function is generated <n> times in the target structure. if maxOccurs=unbounded for the target field, then exactly 5 target field are created".

But if we have done Message Mapping, we could realise that this statement does not hold.

Could anyone please help me out by explaining what this statement actually means.

Regards,

Sundar.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you sure it is said like that?

Because in help.sap it says

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e4/82cf0ec8b9494db92e27e2be69524f/frameset.htm

+If generating functions are assigned to a target field, the attributes minOccurs and maxOccurs determine how frequently a value is generated:

·

If minOccurs = 0 the value of the function is generated once.

·

Otherwise, the value of the function is generated as often as is specified by minOccurs.

( This applies regardless of the value set in maxOccurs. Even if maxOccurs = “unbounded“, the mapping runtime will still only generate the value as often as is specified by minOccurs.)+

Regards

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Suraj,

Thanks for clarifying the concept. I thought the same thing as said in the help.sap.com BUT I wanted to get it confirmed. I was in a Dilema which one to follow. If you see in TBIT 41 in 01_General_Concepts.pdf @ page 21 you can find the thing which i posted. Hope we can proceed with the concept said in help instead of TBIT.

Regards,

Sundar

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In case of any discripencies always rely on help.sap.com

Regards

Suraj

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

STALANKI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you read the following blogs which can be helpful in understanding it very well?

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/08/16/message-mapping-simplified--part-i

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/12/08/message-mapping-simplified-150-part-ii

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sravya,

Thanks 4 the quick response. My doubt is not regarding how to make use of generating functions and what is generating function. I would like to know the validity of that statement given in the t-bit material and if valid how?

Regards,

Sundar

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Generating function is any function that does not have an input to it.

Regards,

Bhavesh