Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading SAP WAS 6.20 from SAPDB 7.3 to 7.4

IanStubbings
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I am trying to search for some guidelines on upgrading my SAP DB to 7.4 as mentioned in Craig's excellent weblog on patching the system.

I have gleaned so far that I must install the 7.4 version, then uninstall the 7.3 version via the SDBUNINST tool.

Would someone be able to flesh out the actual steps I have to take. Since I have spent the last couple of days applying the patches up to SP37 I don't want it to all go wrong now!

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

just a small hint: There's an own forum regarding . Since there are the most competitive experts regarding MaxDB, this might be the best place to get an real useful answer.

Good luck!

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stefan, that is correct but I have been looking here as well and unfortunately no responses yet on this issue.

I understand my answer does not solve the actual problem but I just wanted to mention that the database upgrade is not an requirement for upgrading your miniWAS and therefore you can focus your time on the actual upgrade of the WAS itself instead of the underlying database. Tiest

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiest,

reading Ian's post, he says that the DB upgrade is a must. If it isn't really the case like you state, it might be better to follow your advise and keep the 7.3 version.

Thanks and regards, Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ian, I went to the exact steps is following provided by Craig and was able to successfully patch my MiniWAS 620 to SP47 without executing the database update. My system is currently running on SAP DB Release 7.3.0.28.

Which version are you currently running since there is an database requirement in place for the kernel update to SP38. Possibly you have to upgrade to a higher 7.3 version but upgrade to 7.4 is NOT required and - in my opinion - not advisable given the amount of effort you have already spent. Please let me know as I can look up any tasks you have to follow regarding any 7.3 upgrade since I did successfully completed that task using note 530567.

Message was edited by: Tiest van Gool

IanStubbings
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Sounds good to me! I was not relishing the idea of upgrading the database.

Thanks to you both for being so helpful.

Cheers

Ian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ian, important though; what is your current DB version? I believe there is a DB requirement in place for the Kernel upgrade. Currently searching for this requirement; I can not remember. Tiest

Former Member
0 Kudos

One of the Kernel upgrades require the DB version upgrade as well.

I would recommended you simply go to the lastest Kernel upgrade available DB/OS and upgrade your DB to 7.5 Then patch your system up to the latest.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig, you are correct SP38 requires DB version 7.3.0.25 or higher. I faced the same issue as Ian but for some reason version 7.4 or 7.5 will not install. An database upgrade to version 7.3.0.28 did work fine and did not prevent me from upgrading to SP47. Therefore I would not recommend an upgrade to 7.5 yet, instead go to version 7.3.0.28, apply the patches and when finished, Ian can always try the 7.5 upgrade. The primary objective is to get the pactches applied to the MiniWAS and the underlying database plays, in my mind, a secondary role. Tiest

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was able to go straight to 7.5, as my weblogs suggest but I leave it to you and Ian.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ian, I had lots of issues with the database update to release 7.4 as well. My advise: continue to load all your support packages till SP47 and make a backup of the entire system.

Up until now I have been unable to perform the database update but that did NOT prevent me from upgrading the miniWAS. Just continue applying packages and skip the database update for now. Tiest