cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Question about NWDS/WDJ Tutorial #2 - bottom of page 29

Former Member
0 Kudos

At the bottom of p.29 of the NWDS/WDJ Tutorial #2, it says to rebuild the project and deploy/run the application so that you can see the "runtime behavior" of the app at this stage of development.

OK - so I get a clean rebuild with no errors.

I also get a clean deploy/run with no errors.

But when the application "pops", there is nothing but a blank frame.

I know this is not a config problem, because I can still run the Tutorial #1 application and have it "pop" the way it is supposed to.

I have redone the tutorial up to page 29 twice now to make sure I have made no mistakes.

But I still get that d***d blank frame when I do what it says to do at the bottom of page 29.

What might have I done wrong that I'm not aware of ??

And how can I tell what I've done wrong if the rebuild and the deploy/run are clean with no error messages ???

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

djh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

ar/rh -

Yes - your suggestions led me to the right answer.

Although BG says to set the VerticalSlashPosition of the viewset QuizViewSet to 50% when creating it (in #7 at the top of page 19), he does not say to set the default property of this viewset to "true".

As soon as I did this, the view popped.

I'm giving 6 to you and asking Craig/Gali to give ar 6 also.

Dave

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

OK - both answers now have 6.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

thanks for that answer!! We were doing the tutorial at uni and couldn't find the error - until now! As it seems, the point to set the ViewSet's default property to "true" is not mentioned in other tutorials, too, e.g. the component integration tut.

Sebastian

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Glad to see WDJ is now part of a university curriculum.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Blank screen sometimes appears if you forget to set the default view of the window.

In Web Dynpro Explorer, double-click the window to open the window diagram view.

Check if there is a view embedded in that window. If yes, right-click the view and verify that the "Default" entry is checked.

Armin

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ar -

No - Bertram gives correct instructions for this on page 19 of Tutorial #2, where he says to make sure that the value of "default" is "true" for the WelcomeView that we've just embedded in the Top Panel of the "t" view-set.

Could it be that there's an equivalent "default"

property of the Viewset itself, i.e. that the window somehow has to be made aware that its default viewset is the one we've created?

Dave

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

David, I'm not familar with the tutorial that you are referring to but, one thing that could be your problem is that the view is not embeded into the window. You might want to check this.

REgards,

Rich Heilman

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

rh - please see my reply to Armin ... the view is not embedded directly in the window - it's embedded in a viewset. As per your previous instruction, I deleted the "WelcomeView" from its original position in the diagram after embedding it in the viewset (using "embed existing view".) So in the diagram, there is only one WelcomeView embedded in the top panel of the viewset, and as I said to Armin - its "default" property is correctly set to true.

djh