cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMS - Transports not being automatically marked for import into the next

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've recently removed the QA server from our landscape, therefore changing the Transport Route. Transport route was Dev > QA > Delivery group for Q-Prod & Prod. With QA server removed the Trans Route should now be Dev > Q-Prod > Prod.

The problem is that after a released transport request has been imported successfully into Q-Prod, it should automatically be marked for import into Prod, but does not. I am required to manually forward the request (from import queue of Q-Prod)or copy the data & co-files from Dev server, into the Prod trans\bin, then manually add to the Prod Import Queue. (Added complexity is that each system has a different transport directory, which is not on these servers and Subnets.)

My temp work around has Q-Prod and Prod in the same Consolidation Group after Dev, which means the request is forwarded to both Import Queues once it has been released in Dev. (Not desired)

I have already tried deleting & re-adding Prod to the transport domain, and recreating the transport route, as well as creating a delivery group after Q-Prod.

Below are a couple of tests run and results:

Test 1: Transport Route Dev > Consolidation grp (4 Dev clients + Q-Prod) > Prod

1a) Created transport request in Dev and released it. Transport was added to all Dev clients and Q-Prod import queues. (Transport Directory Buffer files for Dev & Q-Prod had the time stamp change, Prod remained un changed) The transport number appeared in the Import Queue of Dev and Q-Prod clients.

1b) Successfully imported the transport into Q-Prod minutes later. (Tran Dir Buffer files for Dev & Q-Prod did not change)

1c) Import did not show up in Prod's Import Queue (Prod's buffer file did not change)

Test 2: Changed Transport Route to Dev > Consolidation grp (Dev clients + Q-Prod + Prod)

2a) Created transport in Dev and Released. Transport was added to all Dev clients, Q-Prod & Prod import queues. (Trans Dir Buffer files for Dev, Q-Prod & Prod time stamp changed)

2b) Deleted transport from the Prod Import Queue (Trans Dir Buffer file for Prod time stamp changed)

2c) Deleted transport from the Q-Prod Import Queue (Trans Dir Buffer file for Q-Prod time stamp did NOT change)

Any ideas out there?

We have R3 4.7 on SQLServer 8 and Windows 2003, but shouldn't matter.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

It is the problem with the transport directory sharing for the DEV and Q-Prod.Thats the reason why the Import queue is not getting updated automatically

Regards,

Phani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check if you could resolve the problem by clicking on adjust in the import queue..We got a same problem before.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Guys

To clarify some of the above questions:

Amwer:

1- Each <sid> has it's own server, with R3T, R3P, CRT & CRP being clustered.

2- There are actually 4 Transport Domains (Dev = CRD, R3D & BWD) (Q-Prod =CRT, R3T & BWT) (Prod = CRP, R3P & BWP) (Model Office (Training) = CRM, R3M & BWM) But for simplicity I've left this one out of my earlier examples)

3- We use 1 Main Domain Controller = CRD, with other Domain Controllers being CRT & CRP.

DEV & DOMAIN CONTROLLER ( CRD for R3D + CRD + BWD)

QUALITY / TEST SERVER ( CRT for R3T + CRT + BWT)

PRODUCTION SERVER ( CRP for R3P + CRP + BWP)

4- Transport routes

SAP R3 Route : R3D --> R3T --> R3P

CRM Route : CRD --> CRT --> CRP

SAP BW Route : BWD --> BWT --> BWP

5- It should be noted that the CRD, CRT & CRP servers have the Transport Directories for ther Domain Groups

As mentioned before a Released Transport from R3D is automatically added to R3T Import Queue, once imported successfully into R3T it should automatically be added into the R3P Import Queue, but my problem is that it does not. (Once the transport has been added into the Import Queue we've setup a background job that copies the data and cofiles into that groups Transport Directory.)

Phani, I don't believe it's the Transport Directory sharing, as you've mentioned because each group has a seperate Transport Directory.

Subbiah, I have tried the "Adjust Transport Routes of System" button for each of the systems, but transports still do not automatically add to the R3P import Queue.

Sincere thanks for all suggections.

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ken

Transport should be added in production after the Test and Verify the scenario in Quality Server, Quality server will transport and release the customizing after checking the quality. This is best practice by the SAP.

You should not be worry or defining the Landscape to add in the production and import in the production without being inform you.

REgards

Anwer Waseem

SAP BASIS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ken,

1.Did u check the domain.cfg file in the domain controller?Also check the TPparam file.

2.Have you performed all the pst installation actvities?Check in Transcation SE06.You need to confirm if you have perfomed a database migration or standard installation here and perform all the post installation actvities.

3.Did u manuallay try copying co files and datafiles for single test CR into R3P?After copying try if this CR appears in the import queue.

4.Try using STMS and go to individual systems rather than stms_import.

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Subbiah

1. Yes, although they are edited through STMS, but they do look appropriate.

2. Yes, but it should be noted that none of the systems are new or recently refreshed.

3. Yes, before I created my "Work around" tranport routes (which has the transports coming out of Dev R3D once released automatically being added to both R3T (QA) and R3P (prod) Import Queues. Which is the frustrating part. the transports automatically are added to the import Queue when the Transport Route is configured like R3D -> R3T & R3P. But does not automatically add to R3P's Import Queue once it's been successfully imported into R3T when the transport route is config'd like R3D -> R3T -> R3P.

4. Not sure what you mean by that, but if you mean manually moving the transport by going into the Transport number (SE01) displaying the Log, then using the menu path "Utilities -> Forward transport", Yes, and the transport can manually be added to R3P's Import Queue successfully.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

Could you please kindly advise whether you have got resolution for this issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Don't know what could be happening with your system, but most of the times there are problems after changing the configuration of the Transport System, you have to do it carefully.

Did you tried creating the packages again? cleaning the whole transp directory on DEV (usr/sap/trans) and reconfiguring the STMS after that?

checking the OS users and passwords at Windows level to see if the systems can be connected automatically? (SAPservice, sidadm, etc).

Good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jessica

I'm also working with OSS SAP Support now to try and resolve my issue.

In short I can some up the problem and testing completed so far.

<b>To Start:</b>

The Server group removed old QA server from our SAP Landscape, therefore STMS Transport Route required rebuilding.

<b>Systems:</b>

We have a very complex system setup with SAP R3, CRM and BW systems. Each system has it's own server (Dev = R3D, CRD & BWD, QA Testing is now = R3T, CRT & BWT, Production = R3P, CRP & BWP) The Original QA servers are now being removed (R3Q, CRQ & BWQ)

CRD is the Transport Domain Controller, with transport bins located on CRD for R3D & BWD, CRT for R3T & BWT and CRP for R3P & BWP. (Firewalls and Server locations are the root cause for the different Trans Directories)

<b>Transport route:</b>

Transport route for SAP R3 was: R3D -> R3Q -> R3T & R3P (in a delivery group). The new Transport Route needs to be R3D -> R3T -> R3P.

<b>Main Problem now:</b> With the Transport Route configured like R3D -> R3T -> R3P, any new transport requests created in R3D moves to the R3T Import Queue automatically when the transport is released. Once the transport is successfully imported into R3T, it should automatically be added to the R3P Import Queue, but does not.

<b>Present work around:</b> I've reconfigured the Transport route to R3D -> R3T & R3P. Any tranport request once released, is successfully added to both the R3T & R3P Import Queues.

I have checked all SAPService<sid> OS users and passwords, ensured that the TMSADM user was recreated and working on each of the systems, used telnet to log onto each of the servers from each of the other servers at the OS level (to ensure it's not a landscape firewall security issue), I've also checked all RFC connections in the same manner (to ensure each system can reach the others), recreated the route from R3T to R3P as both a Consolidation and a Delivery type of route,

I will post any resolution found later.

Thanks for the help anyway

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ken

You little bit confused about your Landscape, you wrote yourself that each system has its own server, its means this is not complex landscape.

How many server have you ? How many Transport Domain exist in your landscape ?

Do you using 1 Transport Domain Controller in your landscape ?

SAP R3 Landscape : R3D --> R3T --> R3P

SAP CRM Landscape : CRD --> CRT --> CRP

SAP BW Landscape : BWD --> BWT --> BWP

There are 3 Landscape exist in your organizaton

DEV & DOMAIN CONTROLLER ( R3D + CRD + BWD )

QUALITY / TEST SERVER ( R3T + CRT + BWT)

PRODUCTION SERVER ( R3P + CRP + BWP)

Your transport should be released from DEV -- QA-TEST - which should be automatically, and QA-TEST to Prod should be manually import in the production or by confirm in the QA-TEST.

Regards

Anwer Waseem

SAP BASIS