cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deletion existing view from Diagram after embedding in a ViewSet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suppose you have a Diagram up with a view in it.

You add a viewset to the Diagram and then embed the existing view in it.

The view does not disappear from the original place in the Diagram - it appears now in both places - outside the viewset and inside the viewset.

Is this what is supposed to happen?

Or are we supposed to delete the view from its original place in the diagram?

If so, will SAP fix this in a future release of NWDS so that the view automatically disappears from its existing place in the Diagram?

If not, could someone explain why the view is required in the Diagram in both places?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You are referring to the Window Diagram, where you can define the plugs and nav links?

Regards,

Rich Heilman

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

yeah - the one where you can create a viewset (like a "t") in the window and then either embed existing views in this viewset or embed new views in it.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

David, it really depends on the process in which you have create the views, for example, if you create a new view by right clicking the Views section of the tree on the left, you will see the the view is not automatcially embedded in the Window. You need to embed the view in to the window manually, so say you have the viewset in the diagram and you right-click on the cell and say embed view, you then choose the RB for embedding an existing view, choose the view and then finish. In this case, this view is only in the viewset. Now if the view was created as the default view, it probably was automatically embeded into the window, which means that it would be outside the viewset, in this case, I believe that you would need to embed into the veiwset the same way as before(drag/drop does not work here). I don't think that deleting the one outside the viewset really matters, but if you want to keep the diagram clean, I would suggest it. Or course, there is room for improvement with the WDJ IDE, but I think that SAP may have bigger fish to fry, ya know?

Regards,

Rich Heilman

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Rich - I've closed the question with a '10' because I trust your answer, even though you prefixed it with a "I don't think ...".

With respect to your editorial comment, here is my editorial comment.

The whole idea of tutorials, particularly tutorials numbered "2" (meanining VERY elementary tutorials) is that they've got to be literally fool-proof, i.e. leave no room for questions in the minds of fools like me.

WDJ tutorial 2 tells you to name a default view in the window BEFORE you create a viewset, and then to embed this existing view in the viewset once you create it. And when you do this, the view winds up in two places in the diagram - outside the viewset and inside the viewset.

I have no problem at all if SAP never fixes the fact that the view doesn't auto-delete from its original position, and that folks have to continue to manually delete it forever.

But what SAP SHOULD do is to fix the tutorial by simply adding one line - "delete the view from its original position after you've embedded it."

The reason why I say that SAP should fix the tutorial is that a moment later in the same tutorial, SAP explicitly says to delete the default text views that are created when you add the group UIEl to each view, so certainly there is no reason for SAP to say that it should be "intuitive" to delete the view from its original position.

Anyway, thanks again for offering your opinion on whether the delete is OK, even though it's only, as you indicate, an opinion.

Answers (0)