cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is WebAS?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

What is WebAS ? and How it is related to SAP EP?

Thanks

rani A

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

suresh_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rani,

SAP Web Application Server is the result of continuing development of the SAP Basis system.

In addition to the components of the conventional SAP System, it provides the option of implementing both server-side as well as client-side applications.

SAP Web Application Server supports the HTTP, HTTPS, and SMTP protocols.

You can deploy all your EP application on WAS and test it. WebAS has both Java and ABAP Engine.

See this thread too:

Regards, Suresh KB

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

The SAP Web Application Server has been renamed to the SAP Netweaver Application Server. You have the two stacks ABAP and Java. All of the Netweaver solutions runs on one of these two stacks. For example Netweaver Portal(formally EP) runs on the java stack.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh/Rich,

Thanks for your valuable replies.Then where SAP J2EE engine comes into picture .I am a bit confused about the clear difference between WebAS and J2EE engine.

In EP we say that It runs on SAP j2EE engine.Does this SAP J2EE engine is a part of WebAS.

Another thing is "<b>Netweaver Portal(formally EP) runs on the java stack"</b> .does it mean that we can not deploy ABAP applications on Java stack.Do we have to use both Webas java+Abap to support these two appplications

Thanks and Regards

Rani A

suresh_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rani,

The SAP Web Application Server is the application platform of the SAP NetWeaver, which is the basis for the other NetWeaver components.

Installation Options:

There are the following installation options for the SAP Web AS:

SAP Web Application Server ABAP System(ABAP Stack or ABAP Engine). In the graphic these are the components in the yellow box on the left.

SAP Web Application Server Java System(Java stack or J2EE Engine). In the graphic these are the components in the green box on the right. For more information see the Java Architecture Manual under Java Cluster Architecture.

SAP Web Application Server ABAP+Java System. These are all the components of the graphic. For details see SAP Web Application Server with ABAP and Java.

EP is Java based so it run on Java Stack. See my previous reply link you will get more information about SAP WAS:

I hope this will solve your problem.

Regards, Suresh KB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

Thanks.Not able to reward points ,some error is coming.I will do it later.

But one more thing i specified in my last post is We have WebAS java for our EP platform and I want to use WebDynpro ABAP application to connect with R/3 from portal on this.Will it support?Yes or No.

Thanks and Have a Nice Day

Rani A

suresh_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rani,

Webdynpro Java will run on Web AS Java(Java stack or J2EE Engine). From webdynpro java also you can access R/3 like Adaptive RFC Model or JCO Connection etc.

Webdynpro ABAP you have to have Web AS ABAP(ABAP stack).

I hope i solved you doubht.

Regards, Suresh KB