Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebDynpro and VC doubts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have got some requirement.please look into this

The requirement is in this way:

We have a transaction in R/3 called as CN22(Network Change).In this transaction user is having different activity tabs and under each activity user is supposed to fill some limited fields and submit so that it can update corresponding Backend tables.

The problem is user has to navigate to so many tabs in R/3 to fill these limited fields .This requirement we want to capture in Portals such that all needed fields and menu items can be loaded on a single portal page so that user can have a good interface and at a maximum he needs to scroll down to input these fields.

Whenever user updates these fields on portal page it should update SAP database in the same way it use to update through R/3.

My understanding in this case is it can be achieved by developing an application in web-dynpro and integrating this into the portal. Is there any other alternative method to do this?

Can Visual composer in portals be used in this scenario to give flexible UI interface?

Thanks in Advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you know the RFCs that are used by WD, then you can use them in VC and create your own application on top of them, if you want so, all on one screen.

But: you need to figure out the RFCs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rani,

I have the same answer for you as Mario. You can solve the problem with RFC function modules. You can debug your transaction CN22 and look for the the called functions. Then you can write your own RFC, which calls the same functions, which you need.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rani,

I forgot to say, that you can use the transaction SCAT for "recording" your transaction. Maybe this is a better way instead of debugging.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario/Marcel,

Thanks for your attention.I do not know anything about WD and VC,i just got the requirement and I would like to proceed for this.

1.Is WD and VC are different method of achieving the above scenario or they are interrelated to each other

2. "<b>If you know the RFCs that are used by WD, then you can use them in VC and create your own application on top of them, if you want so, all on one screen</b>".how to find out RFC and as you said create your application,application should be in java or ABAP in this case?

can you explain the list of activities in this case briefly so that i can understand properly.

Thanks

Rani A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rani,

1. You can use WD and Flash in VC, this is an option, which you can set under option -> compiler -> Runtime.

WD has other components then flash for composing models. You must try it out, what you need. Flash looks of course better then WD.

2. When you have RFCs, you can use them with WD. When not you have the bad luck, that you must search the functions, which are used by the transaction CN22. Then you write your own RFC function module in ABAP (e.g. transaction SE80), which use the same function as transaction CN22.

Maybe there some BAPIs or RFCs then you can use them in VC, therefore you must connect the system to the portal.

I remember there was a how-to available in SDN, which describes how-to write your own RFCs for VC, but I'm not quite sure.

I hope I could help you.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Good Answer.points to you:-).

This would be my last post before i go and implement the way you suggested.

lets say We are going to develop WD application ,but apllication should be in WD4J or WD4A?we have Web AS java running for portal.Does it mean that I have to develop WD in Java only but not ABAP?please confirm on this.

Other doubt is whenever a user try to fill out some specific fields through WD apllication,he would be needed some data or Table required from r/3 to retrieve so that he can choose options for the input.Is it possible with the way you suggested or any string attached to this?

I hope this last reply from you.

Bye and have a Nice Day

Rani A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rani,

> lets say We are going to develop WD application ,but

> apllication should be in WD4J or WD4A?we have Web AS java

> running for portal.Does it mean that I have to develop WD

> in Java only but not ABAP?please confirm on this.

You will use VC, won't you? - If you'll use VC and want to use WD instead of flash you must set WD under option -> compiler -> Runtime. But before you start in VC, you must develop your RFCs in the backend system (R/3) with ABAP.

> Other doubt is whenever a user try to fill out some

> specific fields through WD apllication,he would be

> needed some data or Table required from r/3 to retrieve

> so that he can choose options for the input.Is it

> possible with the way you suggested or any string

> attached to this?

I don't know if it is possible to use the VC value help function in WD, but in flash it works fine. Therefore you write a small RFC in ABAP with a SQL select statement, then you have your data for value help. Another possibility is to use a static value help list (if there not so much data records).

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marcel,

Again some confusion.whats the meaning of "<b>you want to use WD instead of flash</b>".we have BAPI related to transaction CN22 called as "BAPI_NETWORK_MAINTAIN.Do I need to create RFC if i already have.I dont think so.

I can develop application in WD using BAPI i mentioned,till here it is fine.Where VC comes into picture?

Is it necessary to use VC in my case?what is flash?

Thanks

Rani A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rani,

> Again some confusion.whats the meaning of "<b>you

> ou want to use WD instead of flash</b>".we have BAPI

> related to transaction CN22 called as

> "BAPI_NETWORK_MAINTAIN.Do I need to create RFC if i

> already have.I dont think so.

I thought you want to use VC (Visual Composer), there you can choose in the Compiler options to use WD (WebDynpro) or flash (<a href="http://www.adobe.com/de/products/flash/flashpro/">Adobe Flash</a>). If the BAPI fullfills the requirement, then you needn't write an RFC (maybe for the value help).

> I can develop application in WD using BAPI i

> mentioned,till here it is fine.Where VC comes into

> picture?

I think we talk at cross purposes... when you talk about WD, what do you mean? WebDynpro?

I think the best way for you is to use VC with flash as compiler option. The check out, if the BAPI fullfills your requirements.

> Is it necessary to use VC in my case?what is flash?

I think you are faster in developing applications and VC is the future in developing SAP Web Applications, that's why you have to use VC sooner or later.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

Now things getting more clearer.Please conclude at the last.

From your last reply i can make out that Visual Composer has to be <b>compulsarily</b> used to Connect to R/3 from portal.

Other thing is with VC I can have 2 options

1. WD(web Dynpro), if i use WD i have to develop this application in java and connect this to R/3 using required BAPI.Am i rite?

2.If I Use Flash with VC,do I still need RFC/BAPI to connect it to R/3?please confirm on this.

Regards

Rani A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rani,

> From your last reply i can make out that Visual

> Composer has to be <b>compulsarily</b> used to

> Connect to R/3 from portal.

An big advantage of VC is that you can connect every system.

> Other thing is with VC I can have 2 options

> 1. WD(web Dynpro), if i use WD i have to develop this

> application in java and connect this to R/3 using

> required BAPI.Am i rite?

You don't need any knowledge of programming languages for VC, but if you haven't BAPIs, RFCs or something else you need for your requirements then you have to programm them.

You can write an RFC in ABAP or an webservie in Java.

When you have the BAPI then you must not develop an ABAP RFC. Instead you have to drag & drop your application in VC.

> 2.If I Use Flash with VC,do I still need RFC/BAPI to

> connect it to R/3?please confirm on this.

You must connect R/3 in portal, you must have a source system to get data in VC. It makes no difference if you use flash or webdynpro.

Another question, have you installed VC yet? - I get the impression, that you haven't installed it.

I advise you to install VC and try it out, then you get a feeling, what is possible and what I wrote.

I think for your requirements VC is a good tool for fast developing.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel,

Thanks .sorry I forgot to give points.Now i understood what you mean to say.I will go and implement the same way you suggested.But this is my first approach to this application. Can You mail me some very good document so that it is easy to explore the things here.

If you dont mind i will give you my Email id once to reply to this.

Thanks in Advance

Rani A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rani,

there are a lot of tutorials in the SDN:

<a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/visualcomposer">BPX Community to VC, there are a lot of documents</a>

The modeler's and reference guide contains a description of all VC elements. I think this helps you, but VC is easy to use.

There are also some documents on help.sap.com:

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/77/3f89af68304e2090d34f60506fd90c/frameset.htm">information on help.sap.com</a>

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/77/3f89af68304e2090d34f60506fd90c/frameset.htm">further information on help.sap.com</a>

And there is somewhere in the help.sap.com an example tutorial for VC beginners.

Have fun with VC, it's an easy to use tool.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there nobody who has implemented this kind of scenario?