cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart J2E Instance Failure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi evrybody,

I'm unable to restart my J2E Instance without failure.

When I try to restart I receive an system-failure because of less system resources.

After that I can't start any other program (IE, Word,...)without failure until I restart the whole maschine.

The Web AS (SP7) runs on a P4 2,4 GHz with 2,0GB RAM with MS-SQL Server 2003 and Win XP Prof.. The usage is set to 768MB RAM. I think this should be enough, because before the restart everthing works fine!?

Is anybody able to help with this problem?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Alex

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

daniel_davinci
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

Can you tell us what is taking the resources of your machine? I assume that it is the J2EE server... Is it hogging memory or is your CPU hitting 100% for extended periods of time?

How are you restarting the environment is it via the MMC?

When you right click on the J2E instance in MMC does it show any logging activity that might indicate the nature of the problem?

Regards

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

the Web AS takes ca. 1GB RAM. There is still 1GB available.

I try to restart the Server vie MMC, but I can't view the Developer Trace beacause of the system failure. After the restart nothing works anymore!!

Best regards!!!

Alex

daniel_davinci
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hmm...

What happens if you just shut the server down (not restart)?

Does the system actually shut down and release the memory?

Seems strange that you whole OS would hang like you describe.. Anything showing up in the windows event viewer?

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

there is no problem to shutdown the server. Only at restart without a whole maschine restart the system become unusable.

I've looked at the event viewer, but there is no irregular post.

The memory seems to be released after shutdown. Viewed with task manager.

Alex

daniel_davinci
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Strange behavior indeed.

Are there any processes left running after the shutdown?

Does the developer trace show that the server has successfully shut down?

Also, a basic question but how long are you waiting after the restart?

You might like to try patching to the latest SP if you have not already. I have seen other posts where people have complained about memory problems with the server and after applying the latest SP the problems were corrected.

Out of interest have you tried restarting via the windows services rather than the MMC?

I have not experience this problem myself, these are just the things that I would try if faced with this issue.

Regards

Daniel