cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interval variables cause errors

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using an predefined interval variable (CalenderYear/Month) within a VC-model the query cannot be processed. The error message which occurs is: Cannot execute BW query: "Nested exeption. Failure to execute native function. Nested Exceptions."

Using it in the BI-query it works perfect but not within the VC-Model. It seems as the VC cannot deal with the "query interval pop-up". Any assistance or suggestions are welcome.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

the variable input for calmonth requires certain format. if this input value is coming from an output of another query, you need to map ext_key to variable input.

most likely, this error is related to the format of calmonth value.

best regards,

Shan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shan,

thanks for your response. The hint with the ext_key was very helpful. Now the model works at least with single values (01.2006 or 02.2006) but when I use intervals (01.2006:02.2006) the result returns all values (12.1994:09.2006)and not the selected ones of January and February.

Kind regrards

Lutz

Message was edited by: Lutz Knabel

moyalynne
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi lutz;

could it be that the variable itself is configured in the query as a single-value variable? you can also try adding value help to the field to help you generate the correct syntax (see the <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/44/4fc09c78ef4e35e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm">Working with Variables</a> document online).

thanks,

-m

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Moya,

yes my variable has been defned as a single variable. Now I have learned that variables are not as variable as the appear. A single variabel can only be used as a single and a interval variable can only be used as an interval but but often you do want to use them in both ways or even you cannot block it in your model.

So using the characteristic instead of the variable in my case would not have caused these problems and now I´m back at the point from where I started.

kind regards and have a nice weekend

Lutz

Message was edited by: Lutz Knabel

moyalynne
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi lutz --

i agree that variables can be confusing, but i also understand that they are very powerful. i encourage you to check out the documentation (see <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/f1/0a56a7e09411d2acb90000e829fbfe/frameset.htm">Variables</a> in the BI Suite documentation) and also the BI forums here on the SDN. if you haven't already, post variables questions to the <b>BI Suite - Business Explorer</b> forum. i'm sure the folks there can help you out.

thanks and good luck,

-m

Answers (0)