cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change a client number & space for client copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We need to copy a system with one large client (500) to another system to bring it into sync/have sufficient 'real' data for testing. We are going to do a restore and a database SID change for this.

However, the new system needs to have two clients, 200 and 220. Firstly; how do I go about changing what is currently called client 500 to client 200? Can this be done in SCC4 / BDLS? Secondly, is there a better way of estimating how much space will be required for a client copy (of the new 200 to an additional client 220) than running a client copy in test mode? The database is currently 500GB and we require an additional 200GB of disk space on the source system just to copy the one client... need to know how much more we will need for the second.

Many thanks

Ross

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ross,

For client copy from PRD server to TEST server (i.e 500 to 200), u simply have to create another cleint in TEST system with the use of SCC4 T-code(cleint no:200).

u also has to identified whether u r going to use Remote cleint copy or IMP/EXP of client method.....

if it is remote cleint copy then use : SCC4 & SCC9 also u have to create one RFC from new cleint 200 to PRD cleint 500 through SM59.

If u r using IMP/EXP then use SCC4 & SCC8 & SCC7.

for more detail step pelase check the help.sap.com for copmlete procedure.

Also for u r second question to estimate the size of the cleint please check the follwoing note on Service.sap.com

Note 118823 - CC-ADMIN: Size of a client

If u require more help or steps detail then let me know...

if it is helpfull to u then please give reward points...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks... let me just clarify a little. We need to do a full database copy (backup, restore, SID change) rather than a remote client copy, in order to get all the production data the developers require for testing.

I.e. we will have a system with client 500 - but we want it to be numbered 200.

We could do a client copy from 500 to 200 as suggested, and then delete 500... but this sounds a bit long winded. Is there any way we can just change the client number?

Thanks for pointing me at SAP note 118823; I will take a look.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ross,

Let me tell u what i understand based on u r reply is,

u want to copy entier PRD database to ur TEST database and only change u reqire is to change the SID----if this is the case take u PRD Hotbackup/Coldbackup also create controlfile for the new databaserecover database in nomount---finished the recovery by applying the archives......so u r system copy is finished ...

the second problem is that u require client id as 200 instead of 500.....but i dont think so it is changed after system copy...

so there r only two choices remains..

(1) Remote client copy and delete the client

(2) local client copy once completed system copy.

Anyhow u have to take long route only....

If someone knows the better ways then its good for me also....i can help u upto this only..

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kamlesh

Yes, that is correct - we would be copying PRD to TEST and changing the SID - we know how to do/have done before.

The problem is indeed that the client id needs to different and I was trying to find out if there was an alternative to the client copy 'long route'.

Thanks anyway...

Ross

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ross,

Did you find any solution to your question on changing the client number directly.

Regards,

Sanujit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many apologies... I cannot remember, it was over 4 years ago... I have changed companies since...

I only closed the ticket as you are limited to 10 open questions before you can open another one... sorry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you find any solution to your question on changing the client number directly.

This is not possible directly, the only way is as written above to copy the client to the new number and delete the original client. BUT this is not advisable at all, because during the copy the space required in the database will double and you will have a hard time to get the space back.

So this is the correct way to change a client number:

- don't do it

This is the alternative way:

- copy the source client to the desired client number

- delete the source client

- reorganize the database (needed for large clients)

Cheers Michael

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can confirm that theres no way around this.

You either do a client export and import to a fresh system or do a homogeneous system copy, then a local client copy and delete the source.

As simply as that.

Regards

Juan

Answers (0)