cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company name determined from the e-mail id???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I read from the following blog that the company names are determined from the e-mail ids given in the business card.

/people/eddy.declercq/blog/2006/06/30/the-firm

Wouldnt it be better to get it from the URL of the company mentioned in the business card? What happens if i use my personal e-mail id for receiving my SDN mails?

Thanks,

Prasath N

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry but we plan to stick with the email id, it's the only safe way of ensuring we have them.

The reason we don't use the "Company field" is becuase everyone types in a different name of their company some use a short name:

e.g.

Wipro instead of Wipro Technologies, SAP instead of SAP AG or SAP Labs or SAP Labs, LLC

The url for the company we also found several problems with as everyone started using their localized URL or url's after being logged in.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Thanks for that reply. But i have seen a few of my friends using their personal mail ids like gmail and yahoo. what would be there company in these cases?

Regards,

Prasath N

Former Member
0 Kudos

In that case their points are not applied to their company whole and when the new changes come out they would not be listed as part of that company.

There are other possibilities we are looking into but any that provide for user input has the inherient problem that someone is going to type if different that you are,

Company Name: ABC Technologies, Inc.

Company Name: ABC Technologies

Company Name: ABC

Company Name: ABC Technologies Inc

Company Name: ABC Technologies Inc.

So what do we do cut it down to "ABC" and take all of that?

Company Name: ABC WorldWide Distributions

Opps now we have another problem.

Email is not easier:

john@abc.com

john@abcworldwide.com

john@us.abc.com

john@abc.co.uk

Those all work too.

The way we are doing it now is still riddled with the problems that people use their "local" email instead of the global company one or even worse they have no global company one and only local ones so for the company with 120 people spread across 4 countries they all show up under 4 different companies.

So for now if you use a yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. you don't get listed and when the changes come out you won't show up under your company name as being part of the contribution of that company.

My question out to all of you is why do you not use your company mail address? You can also set a mail agent to forward your mail to your private account when you go home in the evening.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think there is some changes planned out in next couple of months related to the company wise contributions...I feel it would be considering the company field for the same rather than email id..unless they have different idea.