cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Statistics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We run the SQL Statistics job on a monthly basis. Our database is small. about 133GB.

Please can you recommend how often in a month I should run this statistics job, or is once a month suitable?

Thanks and regards

Avishkar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Avishkar,

as mentioned in the previous reply, you do not need to explicitly update statistics with SQL Server. You even shouldn't.

SAP recommendation is to:

1. Make sure that auto update statistics is set to true
  2. Follow SAP Note 1558087 to schedule an explicit statistics update job for tables which contain for date columns

Depending on your SQL Server Release please look into the SAP Note which applies to you in order to correctly set auto update statistics:

327494 - Configuration Parameters for SQL Server 2000

879941 - Configuration Parameters for SQL Server 2005

1237682 - Configuration Parameters for SQL Server 2008

1702408 - Configuration Parameters for SQL Server 2012

Regards,

Beate

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Avishkar,

There is no need to run update statistics manually with SQL Server 7.0, 2000 or 2005. The SAP database should be set to "auto update statistics"

Please review:

Note 327494 - Configuration Parameters for SQL Server 2000

Note 879941 - Configuration Parameters for SQL Server 2005

There are several tables that must be excluded from the automatic calculation of statistics, these are documented in the above notes.

I also recommend that you download the Word document attached to this note and review it:

555223 FAQ: Microsoft SQL Server

Thanks

N.P.C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello N.P.C

Thank you very much for your valuable recommendation. Something I really looking for.

I am not sure how the points system works, as I am fairly new to this forum, but I will give you full points....

Thanks and warm Regards

Avishkar