cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a problem about Simple RFC Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm developing a Simple RFC Server by SAP dotNet Connnector. As a necessary step, I create a TCP/IP destination on R/3 system, however I meet some problem in this step as following:

There is a console exe file as Simple RFC server run on the windows side name "RFCConsole.exe", and I want to create a TCP/IP destination by SM59.

In the process to create it, three data "Program ID", "Gateway Host", "Gateway Service" should be inputted. How to set them correctly? I guess I should set "RFCConsole.exe" to "Program ID", is it correct? And how about the others? Now, I set Computer Name of the windows side to the "Gateway Host" and "SAPGW00" to the "Gateway Service". It failed when test connection.

As a sever, the console program also want to register "Program ID", "Gateway Host", "Gateway Service" when it running, are these three data same to the three ones in destination on R/3?

Thanks a lot to anyone who answer my question.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First thanks to Guangwei.

Now I'm success to call it. The Gateway Service Name can be find from R/3 by several ways, and if you do a search in SAP Library you can get them. I use the program 'RSPFPAR' and find it from the result report.

To Yevgeniy Trukhin:

I don't know what you mean. If you realy want to know what value the RFC server has, I only can tell you that I just do it as a technology test, no for any bussiness goal.

However, I think maybe it will be useful as the following scenarios:

1. There is a current R/3 system with many programs using RFC call. Formerly, it only be needed to exchange data with another R/3 system, but if now I want to connect it with a NO-SAP server, how I can do it? Yeah, there are a lot of ways can realize the connection like ALE, iDoc and so so. But though them, you want to change you code and solution, as the RFC is not useful in those ways. But if you can develop a RFC server run as a service on the target server, you can still stay your code on the R/3, nothing will change only to configure the TCP/IP destination set. So I think in this scenarios the RFC server is a good solution, save money and time.

2. R/3 system is a high price product, not all the company can use it. So if in the B2B case, develop a RFC server give us a way to keep connection and exchanging data with the customer's R/3 system without buy one for our side. This is also helpful to keep the current solution on NO-SAP side and reduce cost.

In the integration, SAP want to realize the loose couple so how to work with NO-SAP products is in consideration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

kind of off-topic question but a very interesting one:

where would RFC server be used? in which scenarios? where is it useful?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

the ProgramID is simply a string that can identify your server program. Whether you use the original program name like "RFCConsole.exe" or use another name like "MyPowerfullRfcServer", it doesn't matter. Please use a name that doesn't conflict with the ProgramIDs of other server programs registered on the same SAP gateway. For the parameter Gateway Host, you should enter the hostname of your SAP application server (not your Windows machine!!!). The value for the parameter Gateway Service is usually SAPGW<XX>, where the XX is the system number of your SAP system.

The arguments you use to start your RFC server program must exactly match the settings in SM59. Please note that the programID is case sensitive.

Hope it helps,

Guangwei