cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC Production server Migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please help me on the below situation i have for ECC 5.0 on Win2003, SQLServer2K..

The existing Production server (PRD) which is in Domain needs to be replaced by a new bigger hardware. The options were -

1) Install OS for the new system (win2003) in domain, plug the network cable out ans start the installation of SAP. Perform a system copy from the existing system, down the existing system, put the new system in domain and perfrom restore of the db (the new system is having the same hostname as the old one and hence need to be offline)

2) The new system is assigned a different hostname, but resides in the same domain during the installation. While doing system copy from the old system, will there be any problems with the db because of different hostnames??

Does the system copy/restore depends on the hostnames?? and what other parameters need to verfiy.

Please help suggest which is better. And if chosen the 2nd option, what r the things need to be checked / changed to avoid hostname problems.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Sankar.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have an other suggestion since you're on mssql. How about creating a new installation on the new host. db de_tach the data file. stop the old system db_detach the data file. unmount the data disk old machine. Mount data disk to new machine and db_attach datafile. This seems not to much down time ?

Lando

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lando,

Thank you. But unfortunately, the disks are not of the same kind, meaning the current is 3.5" disk, whereas the new one is 2.5" disk.

thanks,

Sankar.

0 Kudos

Hi real,

I didn't mean a fysicle unmount i did expect the data on a san storage or something like that. Still by connecting the disks with net use you probably can save a lot of down time with my scenario.

LAndo