cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring and Basis Docs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Love the new engine, Shared memory stability at last!.

I cannot find a monitor in the NWA, we use CCMS for all our customers here and would like to know something about the planned monitoring infrastrucure. I would have expected it in NWA as it was there before.

Also All the online documents are mailnly for Java developers. I'm Basis and would love to see archtiecture docs and interface and config docs. I imagine its all a bity too early as this is just a sneak preview.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

The word 'preview' says it all.

We decided not to include the monitoring plugins that are part of NWA in the preview version because we had some problems at that moment and we preferred to focus on the stability of the other plugins. In the official release of course there will be monitoring functionally.

In TechEd there was an announcement about a new product CE(Composition Environment) witch basically will included part of Java stack of NW (Java EE 5, Portal , WebDynPro and a light version of NWA). CE targets Java developers and NWA that is part of it will work only in local mode in order to administer the local developer system. Plugin called Java System Reports will be available.

I suppose you are more interested in the next version of NW. In it NWA will be able to work also in Central mode this means to administer more than one system at a time.

The Java System Reports and System Status Overview plugins witch are available in NW04/NW04S will be also present. Also at the moment we are developing monitoring reports based on BI and that rely on the existing infrastructure and will be part of NWA. With their help you will be able to monitor and the ABAP stack of NW.

About the documentation you ask we are still in development and it is a little bit early to publish something. For configuration and setup there will be a plugin in NWA developed by the CTC (Central Technical Configuration) colleagues that will make the life easier for many people. Based on the scenario you have after executing several templates for your system or set of systems you will have them configured. Also the central mode of NWA will be setuped from there.

I do not know how familiar you are with NWA and its central mode so if you want I can explain a bit more about it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Georgi,

thanks you, that was more than expected and I appreciate it. I also appreciate you are in the development stage and cannot release a lot, I was just being cheeky and see if I could get any forward view.

I have a pretty good appreciation of the WEBAS Java and have set up CCMS sentral monitoring across our client base including for Java. I have used NWA centrally but found the response time poor across a 9 app server portal (3 notes each) when we want to review the default.trc. NWA locally is a lot better.

I like the idea of the shared memory and the ICM but as I could not see monitoring beyong the MMC I really just wanted to know whether the framework for CCMS is still being used.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

The simple answer to your question is that CCMS framework is reused but with NWA we try to present the data in more convent way for people that use it. If you have seen Java System Reports in graphic mode it looks much better than dispaling tables or just a tree of monitors like it was in Visual Administrator.

About the performance of NWA and especially in central mode currently I am part of a project that will work for stabilization of the new edition of NW and this includes better performance and lower memory consumption for NWA.

BTW we will appreciate any comments or suggestions that you have about NWA or monitoring in particular

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Georgi,

Many thanks, saying the CCMS framework is reused I am taking as meaning it is still available and NWA links to it as is the current architecture.

We have more than just trees for CCMS, We have ALM, BSP's, CPH and BI CCMS cubes, enough with a little bit of customizing to provide all our needs.

I am glad to help or comment where I can, naturally the delivered NWA is nowhere near its original self let alone what will have to be embedded to complete the visual administrator functionality but I am always happy to comment if given the chance.

BTW I was on the SMD ramp up and have not found another customer yet willing to implement without force or guile. Any chance of you guys buying Intrascope.... I don;t seriously expect and answer.

My comments so far are thank god for shared memory, Java is finally getting stability.

I now close this thread a happy man.

Answers (0)