Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear MDM gurus,

Question # 1 :

-

Kindly let me know the steps to be done in MDM once have identified the business structure.

like Step 1: Create main Table & look ups.

step 2 : Create an Hierarchy et all.

Is a Hierarchy always required.

Question # 2 :

-

Say I have a main table with fields AF1,AF2,BF1,BF2 and CF1,CF2 and I have a structure like

A (Af1 - Af2)

B (BF1 -BF2)

C (CF1)

I want "A","B" & "C" to be categories for easy search.

Kindly let me know how to add data records to categories.

In the above case say I have 2 data records in the main table, how will it look after the data records are added to the Categories.

Greatly appreciate your inputs.

Thanks.

Jack

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jack,

since you didn't use any questions marks I am not quite sure what was a question and what was a statement.

But I try to answer the topics anyway.

Question 1:

No a Hierarchy is not always required when you build a new data model.

Question 2:

First you need to define in the Console a Lookup table to the Taxonomy table where your catagories will be stored. After that you create the taxonomy in taxonomy mode in the data manager. Last you switch back to Record Pane and select in the previously defined lookup field the desired category you want to have for this particular item.

I that helps, if you have further questions just ask...

BR

Nicolas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

Regards to my question # 2,let me re-phrase it as under :

Explaination:

-

Currently we have a business scenario where we have 3 levels namely A,B and C.

The Hierarchy is as under :

A

B

c

Meaning for every record of "A" we could have many "B" records (1 to n relationship).And for every "B" record we could have "1 to n" C records.

These 3 levels will be common to all our Products.

In each of the above levels there will be some characteristics e.g.

At level "A" we will have say 5 characteristics viz.

AF1,AF2...AF5.

Same with "B" and "C" viz BF1-BF5 ....

(For the sake of e.g. lets say CF5 stands for Item Number)

We want to strutcure the same way inside MDM.

The Reason for this structure is listed as under :

-

Now say the user does not know a particular data value for the "Item Number" so he needs to have a way by which he can reach to that "Item NUmber".

So the user would (do a hierachical drill down) first choose a value in Level "A" which would then show all related "B" records and then the user selects a "B" record it will show all "C" records.

Then the user will look for the particular data value for "Item NUmber/ CF5".

Questions :

-

A) Kindly let me know how to accomplish this in MDM.

B) Pls let me know what will be the fields in the main table for the above example and how the user can do a drill down in an hierarchical fashion to find out the "Item Number/CF5".

Should I do the following :

-

1) Create A,B and C as fields in the main table and mark them as QUALIFIED lookup fields.

2) Also create a field Called "Structure" which would be a TAXONOMY lookup field

3)In Data Manager,in TAXONOMY mode,open up the TAXONOMY Lookup table and create 3 categories called "A" , "B" and "C" .

4) I am not very clear here.....in my case what category would I link to what record since all my main table records would have representations from levels "A","B" and "C".

Pls advise.

Greatly appreciate any inputs.

Thanks.

Jack