cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMDBs are Too Shallow

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just read a post from Alex Bakman on his Change and Configuration Management blog talking about CMDBs and claiming they are too shallow to be effective. Check it out here (link) and let me know your thoughts.

http://ecoraccm.blogs.com/my_weblog/

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The configuration management is an organ of the change management process.

CMDB is basically the directory of the configurations both original and the add-ons,namely,patches,fixes,versions etc and the relevant others.

The configuration is the focal point of business requirements that requires mapping in to the sysytem,the technology itself,the availability of the net work,web-based services and so on.The threat assessment,mitigation too converge on the CMDB.The CMDB is also a focal point of divesrse functional and non-functional attributes[ like security,SLAs,Escrow etc].The business,security requirements and technology being dynamic and which undergoes a constant self-immolation[obsolecense,cessation of features etc],a non-volatile,static CMDB which can render "An one size-fit all" solution is impossible here.

Building an acceptable,good CMDB is essentially an organic one and involves a huge expenditure of time and other resources.Until then this is bound to remain shallow.

Regards,

Ramesh.