cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW performence problem when loading data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello every one.

We are using sql server so we have zero memory management on our system and we are on 32 bit OS.

I have checked all the memory parameters and they are up to SAP standards. Problem is as follow:

When we are loading data, system basically come to halt. when I check for users or other processes there is nothing. usually a simple load is taking us between 4 - 8 hours.

Can any one suggest what I need to do as I am new in BW environment.

Regards,

Kourosh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You probably want to check your settings in 2 areas:

1. Are you dropping the indexes prior to the load? This can be done automatically for deltas and you can define it in the InfoCube definition and in the InfoPackage definition. Loading in the BITMAP indexes can be very resource intensive, especially if you are not compressing previous delta data loads

2. Have you checked your work process usage and CPU usage? It is easy to consume all work processes (and CPUs if you don't have many) with data loads as parallelism consumes a lot of resources. Check your work process (you can ensure that some work processes are not used in data loads via a profile parameter). Also check that you do not have too many work processes for the available CPUs otherwise you'll just swamping the CPUs and everything slows down. If you have CPU restrictions, consider the load option of "PSA and then data target (InfoCube)" as this makes everything serial and avoid swamping CPU. This option is usually the slowest unless you have CPU restrictions.

Finally, check SAP notes and the online help for more information on tuning data loads.

I hope this helps,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you every one for your input.

Regards,

KG

Former Member
0 Kudos

An intial load of data can take time. Following the first load, a delta load should be much quicker.

Also, running compression on the load may result in longer load time, but it is recommended practice by SAP.