Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Console Implementation

swatantra_vijay3
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

My company going for SAP console implementation for its warehouse process. They have procured window based RF devices for that. can anybody tell me, can we have SAPGUI on this Handheld devices using SAP console or do we need to go for SAP web console? as in my understanding SAP console is only for Character based devices.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Swatantra

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You’re right about SAP Console and that it’s only for character based devices. If you go for this option you have to install a telnet client on your handheld devices to communicate with your backend system. You exchange information through a character based interface, and you also need a telnet server part on your web server where SAPConsole is installed.

If you choose to go for WebSAPConsole you have the possibility to work with a graphical interface (instead of the character based one). You then connect to your backend system through a web server, with SAP GUI 6.40 and WebSAPConsole installed, from the browser (IE) on your handheld devices (which means no SAP GUI on the handheld devices it selves).

I guess your decision depends on what kind of RF devices is bought, if they can handle web (graphical) interfaces or not, or if you want to work with character based devices.

WebSAPConsole still provides the opportunity to work with character based devices, but it also provides the possibility to work with web enabled devices.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Helen

swatantra_vijay3
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Helen,

Could you please let me know if we go for WebSAPConsole what would be the landscape ,do we still require the telnet server .

Can we develop the these webenabled transaction in abap ?????????

BTW the RF devices are windows mobile based and can handle the graphics

Regards

Swatantra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you go for WebSAPConsole you don’t need the telnet server, you access and connect to the backend system through the browser on your handheld devices. For the landscape and prerequisites to use the WebSAPConsole this is stated in the installation guide:

<i>For Web connection (WebSAPConsole)

• The Windows NT/2000/XP server must be installed on the computer.

• The computer must be connected to the network

• Web software must be installed on the computer.</i>

I have read threads earlier about problems finding the installation and user guides to WebSAPConsole for SAPGUI 6.40, and if you want to and if you give me your e-mail address I can send them to you for more information about how WebSAPConsole works and what is needed to make it work.

And yes you can develop your applications in ABAP, and then access them from the handheld device by using the browser and the connection to the backend system.

Regards,

Helen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Helen, do you have any experience with keypad mapping for the WebSAP Console? OUr devices Function keys dont seeem to work.Understande that there is some key maping that can be done to correct this, but noone seems to be able to tell me how and where to perform these actions. Any pointers will be MUCH appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ray,

We also had some problems regarding function keys, with our devices, and to get them to work. We used the touch screen and soft keyboard with a pencil (stylus) instead. Maybe this can be an option for you, depending on the application you're working with.

I have also understood that there are some keypad mappings that can be done, but I'm sorry to say that I don't know how it works either.

I hope you find a solution

Regards,

Helen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Helen. Unfortunately, while the devices are capable of perfmorming the functions by means of the touch screen (which we have already tested and proved to work), it is impractical for the environment in which the devices are to be used.

Reply much appreciated though.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Helen,

seems you've got some experience in implementing (web)sapconsole. Can you give me an idea or an example about the time in man-days needed to implement it in a warehouse?

thx in advance!

thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Helen

i want urgenty help to connect Hand held machines to my SAP version 4.7*200 . any one know how to installed and configured in that system . Thanks in Advanced.

Regards

Arshad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry for responding so late.

Last spring I was involved in a project about websapconsole and the use of handheld devices, connecting to SAP. We worked with this for about 30-35 man-days I think, not including time for information search on websapconsole. We worked for a couple of months, so I'm not sure how much time needed, I think it depends from case to case and on how much work you have to spend on your transaction/programs. If you already have your transactions or use standard it shouldn't be that much work I think.

You need to:

- install websapconsole on a webserver

- create profile

- some configurations, see the installation guide for more info.

- think about which transactions/programs to work with and what devices to use

We developed our own custom made transactions instead of using standard, since it suited our customers need better. It was a mobile solution with barcode scanning and label printing, and information exchanging with SAP.

Websapconsole is installed on a webserver, and it's not that much work to get it up and running. You need to create a profile in SAPConsole Administrator which you connect to your SAP system and a (start) transaction, this is done by just entering them in the profile settings. In our case the start transaction where our custom made transaction.

On your handheld devices you use the browser to connect to SAP, and your transaction, and this is done through the webserver where you've installed websapconsole. You give the direction to the webserver in the web link and you can also get direct access by entering the name of your profile, user and password in the link. The connection to SAP is therefore websapconsole's responsibility.

More information on this can be found in the installation and user manuals for websapconsole, which I think should be found at service.sap.com.

I'm not sure if this is what you where asking for but I hope it helps!

Regards,

Helen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Helen, Ray here again. I have misplaced the documentation for installaing and configuring Web SAP Console and am going crazy trying to find it on the portal. Please can you mail the neccessary docs to at rcox@mysct.com

BTW

I am having a problem with WEB SAP Console connectivity and I suspect the answer may be in the install guide, but perhaps you have encounterd this problem before; when attempting to access the URL http://localhost/SAP/isapi_sapcnsl.dll it says Website found-waiting for a response, and then I keep getting the error message page "Connection to R/3 Broken" This tends to indicate that the IIS part is working but there is another problem...?

I installed everything from memory and suspect I may have missed something, all help will be much appreciated.

Oh yes...Happy New Year....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ray,

I have posted the way to find the documentation in another thread, but anyway here it is again:

http://service.sap.com/scm --> Warehousing --> Extended Warehouse management in mySAP ERP --> Radio Frequency

Here you can find WebSAPConsole Installation and User Guide. Maybe it's better to get them from there to get the docs most up to date.

Regarding your other problem, I haven't encountered the problem that says Website found - waiting for response, but I have got the message page "Connection to R/3 broken" some times, and I'm sorry to say I haven't figure it out why this happens. One suggestion though is to check the status of the network connection when this happens, if there is any or bad signal at the moment. (But maybe this shouldn't be the problem if you have connection to the web server.) Please let me know if you come up with a solution to this problem. I'm sorry I can't help you on this.

Regards,

Helen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link to these documents, I have also posted it in another thread to facilitate finding these documents for others having trouble finding them.