cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNICODE when Upgrading from R/3 to ECC 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am currently working at a client who is consolidating R/3 3.1i and R/3 4.0b and upgrading these systems to ECC 6.0. In doing so, they want to understand what considerations they need to keep into account regarding UNICODE? They do not necessarily know if they want to be completely UNICODE compliant, but they want to understand their options. Any help or direction that could be provided would be appreciated. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kirk,

What is Unicode?

Unicode (and the parallel ISO 10646 standard) defines the character set necessary for efficiently processing text in any language and for maintaining text data integrity. In addition to global character coverage, the Unicode standard is unique among character set standards because it also defines data and algorithms for efficient and consistent text processing. This enables high-level processing and ensures that all conformant software produces the same results. The widespread adoption of Unicode over the last decade made text data truly portable and formed a cornerstone of the Internet.

Who needs Unicode?

Computer users who deal with multilingual text -- business people, linguists, researchers, scientists, and others - will find that the Unicode Standard greatly simplifies their work. Global business processes, for example global HR system or global Master Data Management, Web Services offering customers to enter their contact data (Global Master Data containing multiple local language characters!), in short: Global Business requires the support of a Global Character Set!

Hardware Requirements – Overview

CPU - +30% depending on existing scenario (MDMP, double- byte)

RAM - +50%

Database size - UTF-8* : up to +10%

Network Load - almost no change due to efficient compression

If you have any furthur queries,please let me know.

Regards,

Cherry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response, but this did not answer my question. What steps do I need to take to enable UNICODE compliance based on my scenario?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Kirk,

First you have to see whether the existing system is Single Code or MDMP,for this execute the report 'RSCPINST'.

Unicode conversion is a major excersie,you will get detailed steps/guides from https://websmp109.sap-ag.de/unicode@sap.

Regards,

Cherry

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kirk,

If your systems are MDMP systems then you will have to do a unicode conversion if you wish to upgrade to mySAP ERP 2005. There are options to do a combined upgrade and conversion in one. Please see the mySAP ERP 2005 guide for more information and also see SAP note Note 959698 - 'Twin Upgrade & Unicode Conversion FAQ'.

If you are a single code page SAP R/3 system you can choose to stay a single codepage system or convert to unicode. It is not mandatory to convert but highly recommended. You can either do a combined upgrade & conversion or a conversion after you finish the upgrade at a later point.

Cheers,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI cheery,

that was wonderful abt unicode and its uses,i would like to have some more details abt how this is going to the effect an ABAP consultant in meeting his timelines;available documents for reference abt how to go ahead abt the upgradation and the role of an abaper in upgradation projects,these details will help me in great way.

thanks in advance,

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ramesh,

After Upgrading R/3 to ECC 6.0 some of the ABAP programs gives Syntax/Runtime errors. ABAPer role comes to here to make the programs and Function groups Unicode compliance.Most of the time Syntax error tells you what you to write to make Unicode compliance. Check for more information in SAP Help

ABAP&Unicode. You can find more information with examples.

Regards,

Ameer Baba.

Answers (0)