cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me abt legacy system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

its really very urgent can anyone plz tke time and tell me abt legacy system.and any scenarios realted to it.

thanx

xilearner

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Legacy = Old System

For example assume you have started a company recently and using SAP in your concern, you happend to deal with a vendor who is existing in the market for a long time ( assume before SAP came into the world )so he was using non SAP system assume MAINFRAMES.

When you want to do business dealing with him you use SAP XI to integrate with his Mainframes system and your SAP system.

From Mainframes you can get data in the mode of file,With file Adapter you can read the data and do valadation in the SAP XI and post the data in to your SAP with help of IDOC adapter in your SAP System.

Here MAINFRAMES is considered as Legacy system.

Let me know any clarification.

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Agasthuri,

That was really gr8. u r explaination was very clear. but when u said that

"From Mainframes you can get data in the mode of file" what do u mean by this using FILE ADAPTER if it is file adapter then it wud b Legacy system-> FILE adapter rite.

what do u mean here by mode of file? plz explain me this.

thanx

xilearner

Former Member
0 Kudos

A legacy system is a Old or an aged system in a shop. As explained earlier a Mainframe is considered to be a Legacy System or even a Data Base system could be Termed as a legacy system or an AS/400 System could be termed as a Legacy system, this implies that these are all the very old applications in the shop.

A mainframe system can produce the output only in the File format(In mainframe world they call them as DataSets).

XI can understand only XI SOAP XML and it can't understand anything else. So if you want a MF system to be connected to an XI System, that means MF can produce only a FILE and to send the file to XI, in XI readableformat we need a Communication Channel. Since we have the File as the Sender, we need the File Adapter as the Communication Channel. So when the data flows thru this File Adapter from the Legacy System, to XI, the File Adapter will convert the File format to XI SOAP XML Format.

When you want to connect a Database to an XI system you need a JDBC Adapter. The JDBC Adapter will convert the Database Format into an XI SOAP XML format.

Same way when the data gets out of XI, its going to be in XI SOAP XML format and if you want to connect your XI to a Legacy system, you need a File adapter on the receiver side. If you want to connect XI to an R/3 system it could be an Idoc or RFC Adapters. and so on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A legacy system is an existing computer system or application program which continues to be used because the user (typically an organization) does not want to replace or redesign it. So I think you can make a definition for it now.

Go through this link and get some idea:

---Satish