cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a PERMAMENT ERROR in BPM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

that´s nice. All the docs about BPM describe the possible reactions to PERMANENT ERRORS. But what is this?

Background:

We created a BPM with a send step in a block after a receive step (That´s simple so far!).

The send step (async) in the block is connected in field "system error" to an exception branch. In this branch the process should send back to sender system a message via RFC and the last step in this exception branch is to interrupt the proces.

But now we tried to do a test. In this test we modified the receiver address of the send step so that the receiver could not be reached, which results in an error step in SXMB_MONI (Service unavailable).

But this doesn´t work. The BPM starts the send step to the unavailable receiver, SXMB_MONI shows an error step, but then the BPM continues after the block without starting the exception branch.

What is wrong in our understanding of BPM?

Have found a link to some information from SAP which says this: In the case of an asynchronous send step, the exception will only be triggered if an error occurs during the transfer to the pipeline.

This means that such an error as we created here is not covered?

No, I don´t think so, because in SXMB_MONI the error for this step is marked with flag for system error!

Regards

Dirk

Message was edited by: Dirk Meinhard

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The SAP Engine deals with application exceptions & temporary exceptions.

In the case of temporary exceptions the engine attempts to execute again where as in the case of application exceptions or PERMANENT ERROR is set to an ERROR.

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Agasthuri,

thanx for this help.

But possibly the header of my topic is wrong as I got some more information from SDN now.

I know now that the status flag in SXMB_MONI gives information about the kind of status. We have a system error here (red flag). So the BPM should trigger the exception. But it doesn´t !

From our point of view everything is fine. The send step in the standard branch of the block is connected to the exception handler in the exception branch in its attributes.

I am wondering that there is an error in SXMB_MONI but the BPM continues ignoring this error (ignoring to start the exception handler).

(We are on SP17!)

Regards

Dirk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please can you create a standard rule and then see if the error gets triggered or not. Then you will be sure that atleast the Alert mechanism is working fine.

Also, the BPM is on the Business process engine and the send step having the adapter details send the data to the Adapter engine??

Regards

Vijaya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijaya,

the send step is an IDOC send step! (no adapter engine!)

So....

Don´t say this is the reason!

Regards

Dirk

Answers (0)