cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger BPM from R3 workflow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello @all,

i have the following idea of scenario: After creating a quality notification (QN) in R3 a BPM on XI-server should start, getting the BO of the QN.

My question is how can the workflow in R3 start the BP in XI and also how to send the BO from workflow in R3 to the BPM in XI?

In my opinion there are 2 main possibilities to communicate:

1. IDoc

2. SOAP

I would be happy about a step by step solution on both or even more solutions (maybe with comments or advantages and disadvantages).

Thanks in advance

Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For R/3 <= 4.6c, you can use IDOCs or RFCs.

For R/3 4.7+ / ECC, you can additionally use ABAP Proxies and WebServices.

Regards,

Henrique.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henrique,

thx for your quick answer, some questions concerning your answer:

1. the R/3 is version 4.7 on the WebAS 620; if it is ECC i don't know exactly, is it necessary?

2. are there any advantages if you compare the technologies each other (RFC/IDoc vs Proxy/WS)? What would you recommend, cause for the BO quality notification i have less BAPIs and RFC possibilities.

3. How should I start with Proxies and Webservices? Do you have a a step by step solution for a similar scenario?!?

4. Just that I understand it right my Webservice should be the IP that receives the BO in XI. And the generated proxy plays the role of the Webservice Client triggering the IP?

5. I don't get the point how to make use of the ABAP proxy if my initiator is a step of the workflow in R3?

Greetings

Chris

former_member431549
Contributor
0 Kudos

1) 4.7 is the version between 4.6 and ECC. You can use proxies with 4.7.

2) Depends on whether you need this to be synchronous or asynchronous into R/3. If asynch works for you, I'd go with a standard idoc if one exists. You have better errors reporting and recovery options in R/3. If a standard idoc doesn't exist, then use a standard RFC or BAPI if one exists. A custom RFC/BAPI is easier to create from scratch than a custom IDoc would be to create from scratch.

3 & 4) I can't help you on these.

5) You create an ABAP proxy in R/3 system that points to an interface on XI. You would call a function module from your workflow that execute the proxy (which is just a method of an ABAP class) and pass your data to it as it's interface (parameters) and magic, the message appears in XI.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you rgone through this weblog: /people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/11/06/xi-bam--episode-i--introduction

Regards

Vijaya

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member431549
Contributor
0 Kudos

For an RFC, you create a shell RFC on your R/3 system, that really only includes import and export definitions. You would then import that RFC definition into IB-DR and use it as a data type. Create a BPM that does a receive on mssage type. And in IB-CD, configure a receiver for the message indicating the BPM as the receiver.

IDoc should be fairly self explanatory. Just configure like you would any other IDoc and set a BPM as receiver.