cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the diff b/w flat file and legacy system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

when v say v r working on scenario FILE to FILE? which format of file r v usually working on? and what is the diff b/w flat file and legacy system?

thanx

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

<i>when v say v r working on scenario FILE to FILE? which format of file r v usually working on?</i>

>>>Many a times it will be a Flat file with CSV format,Tab delimited format, fixedlength fields.

<i>what is the diff b/w flat file and legacy system?</i>

>>>We can not differeniate like this..

Flat file may come from any systems, it may be live system or legacy system.

Legacy system- is something like old, or past one. If you talk about SAP , then older versions of SAP can be called as a legacy system.

So it may be a file system, or any system which is old version but it doesnot mean it is not in use,

Regards,

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi krishna

hey dont v have XML format file? wht do u mean by tab delimited format? what do u mean by flat file?

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We can have xml file .

Tab delimeted means , each field in the file is delimited by Tab (key)..

Flat file in general without any structures. For e.g XML file is structured. So it is not called as flat file

Definitions-

http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid87_gci212131,00.html

Hope it answers

Regards,

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi murthy

thanx a lot for u r instant replies. but when File is sender, RFC and SOAP adapters r receivers which format does file will b then? plz answer my quest specific to this scenario.

thanx a lot

xilearner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Learner,

As Krishna has pointed out, your file input may be structured or unstructured independent of your target(RFC or SOAP or what ever it is...)

Regards,

Jai Shankar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do v have any compulsion that at certain things it has to b structured and unstructured? if so plz let me know when it has to b structured and when it has to b unstructured?

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>>Do v have any compulsion that at certain things it has to b structured and unstructured? if so plz let me know when it has to b structured and when it has to b unstructured?

Defenitely no.... As I said sorce is independent of target in XI. Only you change the setting of adapter to choose your needs and not the other way round...

Regards,

Jai Shankar.