cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java vs ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Which architecture is better? What kind of question should I ask myself to choose right architecture?

Best Regards,

Dominik

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Wow, what a question. These kinds of questions can start wars. First, let me say that I think neither is better than the other, but both are better to use in certain situations. For example, if we are talking about the choice between using Web Dynpro for Java and Web Dynpro for ABAP, then you have to ask yourself which are you stronger in, java or ABAP. In this case, Web Dynpro offers pretty much the same tool in both flavors, so really it is your preference. For me, I am definitly stronger using ABAP opposed to java, so my choice would be WDA over WDJ.

Understand that you may not really have a choice depending on what you are working with. For example, the core system ECC, runs on the ABAP stack, so you must work with ABAP here, the NW Portal runs in the java stack, so you will need to work with the java.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for fast answer. What about performance and hardware requirements for both architectures?

So If I need portal and BI tools (BW, BPS…), I should choose …… ???? I know that is no wrong or good answer in this case, but I’m trying to understand SAP policy in building java and abap NW. Now, we are using only R3, soon will be a BW installation (NW part as I know), and I’m trying to imagine what consequences will take affect on the future look of SAP application in my company. Otherwise, should we bet on java technology or old good abap (known).

Best regards,

Dominik