SAPINST cannot be restarted after stopping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

First some environment information:

Kernel: 2.6.5-7.276

glibc: 2.3.3-98.61

saplocales: 2.3.3-98.61

Java: IBMJava2-AMD64-142-SDK-1.4.2-5. . . (SR5)

Example: I start SAPINST to install the CI. Due to a permissions issue with the /usr/sap/trans directory (cannot allow this sidadm to change the permissions on the file system) I have to stop and modify the keydb.xml so that SAPINST will continue with the installation.

When I try to restart SAPINST, it hangs. The XTERM session only says "waiting for gui to logon" or something like this. I have to reboot the server in order to be able to start SAPINST again.

No information exists in the sapinst or sapinst_dev logs. I found something interesting in the syslog however:

successful SAPINST startup:

sapinstexe: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server. . .

sapinstexe: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server after 1 attempt

unsuccessful SAPINST:

sapinstexe: nss_ldap: could not get LDAP result - Can't contact LDAP Server

This message repeats a few times.

Is anybody aware of the cause? Does LDAP need to be patched? Does SAPINST need to be patched? Is it something with the kernel level?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Warren Chirhart

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Thought I best close this issue with the answer. Unsupported Linux kernel!! Customer's IT department decided to go with a newer release without confirming with their SAP Basis folks whether it was supported or not.

Once the kernel was upgraded, everything worked fine.

Best regards,

Warren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try removing the sapint folder for CI in c:\program files\sapinst_instdir.

reboot the server to clear out any exisint sapinst process.

login as domain admin and reinstall the CI. ( do not give any ldap information in sapinst if prompted during the install process)

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello to all,

Please keep your responses limited to the Linux environment. This is where the problem lies. The problem occurs no matter what I am installing, so therefore this is a SAPINST/Linux issue, and possible a LDAP issue.

Oddly, I selected "No LDAP" during the INPUT phase. This LDAP message in the syslog occurs at the very startup of SAPINST

I have been working with SAP on NT for almost 10 years now, so I'm pretty solid on that environment, so please no more NT-related responses.

Hi Raj,

Thanks, but the solution doesn't help if I'm 1/2 of the way through the installation and I have to stop SAPINST, as was the case in this situation. Also, rebooting is already the solution to this problem and I want to avoid any further need to reboot.

This problem occurs also during the DB installation and deleting the sapinst directory is not going to be helpful in this case either. Thanks for trying though.

Best Regards,

Warren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

See this thread

/message/209993#209993 [original link is broken]

Kind Regards

Mukesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mukesh,

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately this does not help me. I am installing a fresh SAP ABAP instance on a new piece of hardware. There are no existing SAP components to stop or start. There is only me, the server and SAPINST.

Best Regards,

Warren