Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

some confusion in MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to MDM. I have some confusion with MDM:

1. After "Loading Master data" process data from MDC will be copy (except replicate) to MDS (Staging) or it just some logical links that will be stored in MDS towards MDC.

2. Before "Consolidating Master Data" process do we need to define some database schema over MDS or it is an automated process.

3. Apart from consolidation and harmonization within heterogeneous system landscape is there any other benefit associated with MDM 3.0?

4. Does MDM 3.0 shipment comes with MDC adaptor to connect with SAP (ERP and CRM) system and Non-SAP system (like people soft). To my understanding it does have adaptors for SAP but not for non-SAP system.

5. Help.sap.com say during initial load from trusted clients (ILTC) process ID mapping information can be loaded directly from the MDC and transferred to the CI. But how can we store ID mapping directly in MDC?

6. Do we need to have all these component in order to use MDM:

a. Master Data Engine 3.0

b. Content Integrator 3.0

c. BI (BW 3.5)

d. EP 6.0

e. XI 3.0

f.SAP Solution Manger 3.1

Thanks

Raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

KlausDavid
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

answers foryour questions :

1. After "Loading Master data" process data from MDC will be copy (except replicate) to MDS (Staging) or it just some logical links that will be stored in MDS towards MDC.

A: The data will be copied, there are no logical links. After the extraction the data exist on the Client-system and in the staging area.

2. Before "Consolidating Master Data" process do we need to define some database schema over MDS or it is an automated process.

A: We have to consider different cases:

Case 1) Extraction of Standard object types like Business Partner: It's not necessary to define some Database schemas, for the MDM standard object types, they already exist.

Case 2) Extraction of Standard object types, but enhanced by additional fields, e.g BP has some extensions: These extensions need to be defined also on the MDM server, and a regeneration of the Staging are might be necessary. There are tools available to do this.

Case 3) If you would like to extract your own defined Object types, the object type needs to be defined on the MDM Server (with the Master Data Framework).

3. Apart from consolidation and harmonization within heterogeneous system landscape is there any other benefit associated with MDM 3.0?

A: To mention just a few: You keep your data in sync also in the future, Global Spend analysis can be done across systems, one stop Data Maintenance.

4. Does MDM 3.0 shipment comes with MDC adaptor to connect with SAP (ERP and CRM) system and Non-SAP system (like people soft). To my understanding it does have adaptors for SAP but not for non-SAP system.

A: For the available adapters please look in the MDM Master Guide. Adapters for third party systems are/can be provided by our partner community.

5. Help.sap.com say during initial load from trusted clients (ILTC) process ID mapping information can be loaded directly from the MDC and transferred to the CI. But how can we store ID mapping directly in MDC?

A: The ID mapping is not stored in the MDC, it's stored in the CI. The data is only extracted from the MDC's. Regarding key-mapping from an MDC perspective, there are no changes compared to the normal load.

c. BI (BW 3.5)

d. EP 6.0

e. XI 3.0

f. SAP Solution Manger 3.1

You're right, with the exception of the SAP Solution Manager. Solution Manager is higly recommended in an MDM installation, but you can run MDM also without. Without e.g. customizing ID mapping would need to be done manually, which can be a major effort.

Regards Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Klaus,

Thanks a lot for answers.

Sorry to bug you again, But few more doubts

A: The data will be copied, there are no logical links. After the extraction the data exist on the Client-system and in the staging area.

Now data comes to staging area and then data move to actual MDM database after consolidation (CI) what happen to data in staging area, will it be deleted or continues to exist. But my basic question is why we are coping data again and again from MDC to staging then to MDM. Nothing comes free we need extra hardware (for storage).

A: The ID mapping is not stored in the MDC, it's stored in the CI. The data is only extracted from the MDC's. Regarding key-mapping from an MDC perspective, there are no changes compared to the normal load.

Let me clear what I understood from ILTC process. In this process we actually don’t require to pass our data from MDC to staging then after consolidation to MDM but what we doing here is actually bypassing the staging and CI and put data from MDC to MDM. Now, this statement is not clear to me “ID mapping information can be loaded directly from the MDC and transferred to the CI”. from your answer I could not get where ILTC process differ from simple loading and consolidation process.

c. BI (BW 3.5)

d. EP 6.0

e. XI 3.0

f. SAP Solution Manger 3.1

A: You're right, with the exception of the SAP Solution Manager. Solution Manager is highly recommended in an MDM installation, but you can run MDM also without. Without e.g. customizing ID mapping would need to be done manually, which can be a major effort

Which of these come with MDM 3.0? To my understanding Master Data Engine 3.0 and Content Integrator 3.0 are part of MDM 3.0

One more question xCat is already combined with MDM 3.0 or is would be another product named MDME. Where I could find information about MDME.

Thanks,

Raj

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Just some remarks from my side:

1. Staging data can be deleted by manually deleting the process chain instance after it has been completed.

5. To save time in time-critical loading processes from MDCs with high-quality data, ILTC bypasses CI during load, but allows consolidation later on.

See the documentation on the Cleansing the Database process (http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm300/helpdata/EN/80/aada4023a28631e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm).

6. The SAP MDM 3.00 license comprises all required software components as specified in the Master Guide

(not only the core components Master Data Engine and CI).

MDME is a separate product. For more information, please refer to the e-learning session provided in the Master Data Management homepage in SDN.

Kind regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

i want to install MDM5.5 SP02 on server,but i am unable to find from where i get the installation material/CD. Can u please tell me from where i get this installation material/CD. I alredy go through the link "Software Distribution Center" pages (Quicklink swdc): service.sap.com/swdc

Then navigate to Download -> Installation and Upgrades -> Entry by Application Group -> SAP NetWeaver -> SAP MDM

but it does not show me SAP MDM link, i am able to see only BW and EP link there.

please tell me how do i get the installtion material/CD.

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The download path is available for existing MDM 5.5 customers.

If you have purchased MDM 5.5 and the link doesn't work, I'd recommend you post a customer ticket indicating your customer number.

Regards, Markus

Answers (0)