cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promote to cluster without reinstallation, possible in ECC 6.0?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

In older versions of SAP the installation method for an SAP cluster was to install the CI and then re-run the install script to turn it into a clustered service.

Now we have a new scenario with Netweaver 2004s where there is ABAP Central Services and standby enqueue servers. Is there anyway to promote a non-clustered SAP environment to clustered, without uninstall/reinstall or involving separate hardware?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Robert,

Pleaase review this thread:

Regards,

Marcin Gajewski

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

I appreciate your reply and am considering doing something similar if there is not a better solution.

I am involved in an upgrade project from 4.6C to ECC 6.0 on Oracle. I realize that the thread that you referenced is SQL, but the issue is similar.

Unfortunatly, there is a note that says it is not possible to cluster 4.6C in a 64 bit environment, which is what we are moving to.

My current plan is to run a rehersal in the productive environment.

Production will consist of a two node cluster that will support the CI, ABAP central services, standby enqueue and database with 3 application servers.

During rehersal, I will install 4.6C in 32 bit mode on a 64 bit application server and the database on the cluster. Run Prepare and upgrade, then install on the 64 bit cluster the ECC 6.0 components.

The plan is to move the 4.6C productive environment then to the 64 bit platform and it will stay there for around 2 months. This will be a faster platform and we will perfom the Prepair there.

I am planning on not uninstalling the ECC 6.0 components on the cluster so that when the upgrade is completed for real, it would be just a quick switch-over to the cluster.

I would like to know if there is an alternative. Before the ABAP central services and the Standby Enqueue it was possible to promote a CI to a clustered service. If this were possible then we could utilize all hardware even during the time when productive as 4.6C.

My current plan would have one node of the cluster completly un-utilized (Active/Passive for database) until the upgrade and switch over are completed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

what you are doing is a Migration from 32 to 64 Bit.

Therefore you should have a look at note <a href="http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/960769">960769</a>

You have to use Oracle 10 on X86_64!

Concerning Cluster Support of 32 Bit 4.6 on X86_64 see note <a href="http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/955785">955785</a>

hope this helps

regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello. The note number 955785 was a great help.

We clustered the 4.6C environment in 64 bit using the 955785.

After the upgrade to ECC 6.0 we used note 941092 to complete the cluster upgrade.

The only weird thing is that we lack an ABAP Central Services (ASCS). I have a question into SAP asking if I should be concerned by that. All works well.

Thank you.

-Rob LaLonde

Former Member
0 Kudos

for upgraded systems you have to split the old fashioned ABAP CI into ASCS and remaining Dialog Instance. The Dialog instance will no longer be a member of a cluster group and has therefore to be switched to a local disk.

we are currently working to find out the easiest way to accomblish this.

Up to the existance of this procedure you have to keep in your environment (or perform a systemcopy). Your current configuration does not differ from the one you now from 4.6.

regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are faced with the same question. After an upgrade of 4.7 110 to ECC6.0 and using SAP note 867521 we remain with a perfectly good Cluster but would like to convert to the ASCS architecture. I have already been given SAP note 821904 which is fine for UNIX but we are running on MSCS.

I would like to complete this prior to installing the JAVA Add-In.

Answers (0)