Did you mean: 

SAP MI Client / Tomcat runtime?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP MI experts;

I am very new to SAP MI but here is where I am at in the learning process:

1. I have downloaded the MDK

2. I have downloaded the SAP NetWeaver WebAS

3. I have the SAP NW Developer Studio running and have installed the MI plugins into Developer Studio environment. I now see the MI Icons in NW DS as outlined in the MDK documentation under the section "MDK Plug-in Functions" and have "perspective" set to "Mobile Infrastructure"

4. I have the SAPMMC (SAP Management Console?) running

My question is this:

Now I would like to do a very simple demo MI client application for a Windows CE device and for a laptop running XP Pro. However I have run into something I don't understand - it seems to me from reading the MDK documentation that I need to configure in the Preferences Dialog, in the section "Tomcat Runtime" the MI home folder? I don't have an MI home folder that contains the "Tomcat runtime" how do I get this? Does it come with the NetWeaver WebAS download or the MDK? From the documentation appears I should have maybe have installed an MI Client and that this would give you something like a C:\Program Files\SAP Mobile Infrastructure directory and this is were the Tomcat runtime would be etc...? What terminology and MI components am I not understanding and missing. I can't find a SAP MI Client component to download?

Thanks in advance for a new SAP MI learner,

Neal Davis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neal

A minimal MI landscape ideally consists of the following components:

1) One or more application backend systems

2) A middleware server (Web AS)

3) One or more client systems (mobile devices)

You can find MI Client in SAP Market Place

Goto-SDC->enter "MI Client"

For SP16 check for the file name NWMCLIENT16_0-10002889.sca

Thanks

Gopi

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to make a small project in MI,

For that i have installed 1) SAP NW Developer Studio

2) SAP NetWeaver WebAS

3) downloaded the MDK.

now, i want SAPMMC SAP Management Console?

So, for making this, do i require to install SAP J2EE engine?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In SAP WAS, you have two options.

1. Install the ABAP stack & J2EE stack together .

here j2ee engine is part of J2EE stack.

2. Install the J2EE engine seperately.

You need to check this with your Basis guys.

They will tell you about this.

If j2EE engine is installed then SAPMMC will be there.

Regards,

Abhijit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can Somebody pass me SAPMMC (SAP Management Console) (setup).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghav,

SAPMMC is part of SAP J2EE engine installation.

When you install the SAP J2EE Engine then it will automatically

get installed.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello neal,

if you already have an application for your demo, no need

to install the NWDS+MDK plugin. you only need an MI client

on your WinCE and WinXP units. now if you are creating

from scratch, you need to package them up once they are ready

to run and deployment them to your clients. you will need a

running MI WebConsole to deploy your apps. if you don't

have a running MI WebConsole, you can temporarily deploy

it locally using <a href="/people/jogel.santiago/blog/2006/07/27/mi-lad-tool-for-deploying-mi-app-without-using-mi-webconsole">MI LAD</a>. if you are to sychronize your data with the middleware

you also need a configured server.

now regarding Tomcat runtime. MI client has 2 versions:

the MI Tomcat and MI AWT (Core). when you install your

MI client, its installation directory is the MI_HOME.

Please refer to other posts on where to get the MI client

installer for your platforms. once you have specified the

location of your MI home directory in your MDK preferences,

you can make use of it in replacing the codes into that

installation on some iterations while still in the development

phase. if you don't want it that way, you can just do it

manually.

regards

jo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for all the good responses.

I originally thought SAP Systems Manager was MI WebConsole but now I believe that is not true. Is it possible to download a demo version of MI WebConsole and MI Client to use for learning say 90 days? Is MI WebConsole a separate product or is it part of MI Client?

Thanks

Neal

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello neal,

you can download SAP NW (Java and ABAP stack) Sneak Preview

from the download page. however, it is not an install and use

process... you need to configure it first. i think it is

usable for 90 days.

the MI client on the other doesn't have any time limit. you

would only need the MI server if you want to synchronize with

the server. but if you just want to create an MI application

without any synchronization features, you can just deploy it

locally and use it... MI WebConsole is a component running

in the MI server; it is NOT part of the client.

regards

jo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still Confused?

In SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio:

1 - I click on icon "MDK: Create a New MI Project"

2 - I get a message: "The MDK plugin has to be configured properly...."

3 - I get a Prefences Dialog box with MDK selected; under the "Location and settings of the MI Client, Tomcat Runtime, MI home folder: <-- I don't know what to put here? I have not installed an MI Client because I don't know where to go to download an MI Client. (Note I'm not a SAP user so I have no access to the SAP site other than the free part to the general public).

I see references in the documentation about having a "C:\Program Files\SAP Mobile Infrastructure and it seems that this is the default install place for the MI Client? Also seems I read in the documentation that this is the path you would put in the "MI home folder" above?

But again I have not installed a MI Client and I don't have a C:\Program Files\SAP Mobile Infrastructure path?

What am I missing and not understanding?

Thanks for everyones patience

Neal Davis

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Neal,

You are right on all counts

>I don't know what to put here? I have not installed an MI Client because I don't know where to go to >download an MI Client.

>(Note I'm not a SAP user so I have no >access to the SAP site other than the free part to the >general public).

1. Yes. You need to download the MI Client from Service Market place. Your BASIS Team will have your company's partner/customer id. Or ask any of your friends who have got a "S" user Id (as it is called).

2. You found the right documentation. You need to give the Installation Folder of MI Tomcat/AWT (as the case may be). And the user id and password you are refering to is your MI Client LOCAL User ID and Password.

Regards,

Ak.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello neal,

>(Note I'm not a SAP user so I have no access to the SAP

>site other than the free part to the general public).

i have the same sentiment with you. i used to have access

to Service Market Place, but now all I can access is SDN.

SAP only give SMP access to customers and partners. this

is really contradicting, coz SAP is trying to spread its

technology to non-SAP users, but then won't give access

to SMP where the latest SAP notes, patches and info are!

rather, they would recommend SDN and just use the sneak

previews... hmmm...

anyway, i hope you will be able to get your MI installer

then...

regards

jo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jo,

Agree, I'm dissapointed that I cannot get at the SAP notes and a limited version of the SAP MI Client and WebConsole so that I can test a complete custom solution for our OEM hardware. Basically all I want to do is be able to do a complete SAP MI test from downloading MI components, Creme Java, DB2e, and application by using WebConsole and then syncronizing, basically a complete MI test from start to finish.

I only have half the solution the MDK and the SAP NetWeaver WebAS and Developer Studio. However I can't really develop a SAP MI custom client application without being able to download the SAP MI Client, WebConsole and SAP MI notes.

I can develop a java application for the mobile device, put the Creme JVM and the DB2e on the device but I could do all that before ever hearing of SAMP MI?

I would really like to be able to work with SAP MI and the whole package and learn more about it but really can't without access to all the elements required.

Neal Davis

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Neal,

If you have the DVDs/CDs of NetWeaver WebAs Installation Server, i guess you'll have MI 2.5 SP 09 Version client shipped with it.

It will be a part of NetWeaver Components. Pl. check it out.

Good luck.

Regards

Ak.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ak,

Thanks for the info - I don't have the DVDs/CDs of the NetWeaver WebAS I downloaded the MDK and SAP NetWeaver WebAS from the SAP website which are free downloads to allow one to experiment with NetWeaver. However you can't download the MI Client / MI WebConsole unless you are a SAP user and have access to the service site.

Is it possible to obtain the DVDs / CD's for a minimal fee that would offer a limited time (90 days) but full featured SAP MI so I could test everything with our hardware?

Neal Davis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neal,

may first have a look at the MI documentation in help.sap.com for an architectural overview.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/66/314f7a1be58d4c96b1a72140517314/frameset.htm

As well check out MI details in the SDN:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/mi?rid=/webcontent/uuid/6ba0ba72-0901-0010-e287-d8649... [original link is broken]

Afterwards most things should be clarified, please come back for further questions.

Rgds THomas