cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert IDOC to flat file - How to guide

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have found the how to guide for converting IDOCs to FlatFiles via ABAP Mapping.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/46759682-0401-0010-1791-bd1...

What is not clear to me. This sounds like I do not need a message type for the flat file with a full implemented structure corresponding to the source IDOC.

Is this right?

Or it is really necessary to create a mess.type with data type for rebuilding the IDOC structure in the flat file!

Can anyone help?

Best regards

Dirk

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Only Graphical Mapping validates your actual Source / target against the strucutre. The rest of the mappings, XSL, ABAP and JAVA do not check for the same.

In you case, I dont think you need to create the datatype exactly as the IDOC. Just create a dummy Dt and MT and it should work fine.

Regards,

bhavesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thank you for your quick answers!

Bhavesh, this explanation makes clear to me, what´s behind this tricky system!

Best regards

Dirk

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dirk,

Well, am not exactly sure if my reasoning is technically correct, but here it goes,

Java Mapping and ABAP mapping takes the Input Source as an InputStream and return the output also as Streams. These streams are not validated against the source and the target strucutres.

In the case of XSL, the only requirement is that theinput / output should be a well formed XML content.

Graphical Mapping produces a Java code internally and I guess the code has a validation check against the source / target schema.

Regards,

Bhavesh

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>What is not clear to me. This sounds like I do not need a message type for the flat file with a full implemented structure corresponding to the source IDOC.

you don't as it will not be validated anyway

(it only is if you use the message mapping)

so you can use any message as an ABAP mapping target

Regards,

michal