cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naming convention for Wiki pages

Former Member
0 Kudos

(Moving topic from emails to here)

I think, sooner or later SDN Wiki should come up to a list of Best Practices in content publishing, it must be more specific than it is now, for example:

1. Define rules for page naming and namespaces.

The thing is, when creating new pages without such guidance, people will end up with overlapping names problem.

Example:

"Creating Table" topic on ABAP Dic. Page may lead to a new page named Table Creation.

The same name can be used for a page about creating table UI control in SAPGUI, Web Dynpro, etc.

So, to avoid this, they should be more specific and follow a simple pattern in page naming, for example, something like this:

"ABAP Dictionary: Table Creation" and

"Web Dynpro for ABAP: Table Creation"

OR

"Table Creation (ABAP Dictionary)" and

"Table Creation (Web Dynpro for ABAP)"

Do not hope that SDN Wiki will remain just a storage of flat FAQ pages. People will quickly realise its power

Without clear and simple guidance of how to create and organize the content from your side - it will be a disaster (ok, at least kind of mess) Or, should the community propose those rules by itself?

Thank you!

Serguei

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Serguei,

We may want to split the wiki into different topics earlier than I anticipated.

At the moment it is all under Wiki.

Once we split the topics:

ABAP

Web Dynpro

Then we can have in both topics a

"Table Creation" page.

Would that solve the problem or is more needed?

I would like to get a bit more input before we split.

All the best, Mark.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hi Serguei,

>

> We may want to split the wiki into different topics

> earlier than I anticipated.

>

> At the moment it is all under Wiki.

> Once we split the topics:

> ABAP

> Web Dynpro

> ...

> Then we can have in both topics a

> "Table Creation" page.

>

> Would that solve the problem or is more needed?

> I would like to get a bit more input before we split.

Well, as long as those page names won't conflict with each other -- that's good! The only question is, how an internal link to such a page will look like? Both pages should be easily addressed from any other wiki page, so it should not be relative path OR there should be an option how to specify a global page name in the standard format of [Page Title]...

Regards,

Serguei

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

here is a real use case:

there are two pages under Wiki namespace:

Web Dynpro for ABAP

Web Dynpro for Java

I wanted to create a child page named FAQ under each of them, just to make the life easier...

... > Web Dynpro for ABAP > FAQ

... > Web Dynpro for Java > FAQ

But it is not allowed....

I've finally realized (stupid me) that they DO share the same namespace which is <b>Wiki</b>. In spite of that hierarchical tree structure and parent/child relations between pages, they all belong to the same namespace and cannot have the same name. Hence we DO have to qualify a UNIQUE page name through out the whole Wiki (namespace) as it is in all 'normal' wikis... I thought opposite...

Well, all that is because of that confusing parent/child things

This is just my feedback on this... And, maybe we should clarify this 'game rules' in the Wiki FAQ more clearly to let people understand better how it works and is organized...

P.S. Now I don't think we need a separate namespace. We just need to know how it works to make using this Wiki less confusing.

P.P.S. Here is my <a href="https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/HOME/WebDynproforABAPexplained">experimental page</a>. As you can see, I have to give full names for pages like Controller, View etc. to be unique. So, on one hand it's maybe kind of extra work to specify a wiki link, but on another hand we can refer to any page within that global tree and its name is self explanatory. Plus, such names are good in terms of SEO.

So, we can leave it as it is. People just should be aware of giving more specific names to their pages.

BTW, is it ok like this:

<b>Web Dynpro for ABAP Controller</b>

vs.

<b>Controller (Web Dynpro for ABAP)</b>?

The second one can be more indicative meaning it's a small subtopic of bigger topic. (Such approach is used in some wikis instead of namespaces).

My concern is to get simple and clear rules for Wiki contributors. They should be defined at earler stages before it's too late and many pages are already created....

Thank you!

Regards,

Serguei