cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to define a Runtime System after the SC has been approved?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have created a Track for a certain SC called TestSC.

When I did that, I defined only our development server as a Runtime System and imported the relevant SCs (SAP_BUILDT, SAP_JTECHS, SAP-JEE) only to this server.

Now, the TestSC has been developed, assembled and approved.

Is it possible, at this stage, to define the production server and import the TestSC to it?

The reason I am asking this is because at SAP tutorials you need to define these Runtime Systems in advance and import the relevant SCs (SAP_BUILDT, SAP_JTECHS, SAP-JEE) to each one of them before the actual development starts. If I will define the production server now, will I still need to import these SCs to the production server or only the TestSC I have created?

Thank you in advance,

Roy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, this is possible.

Just add the system to the track in the Landscape Configurator.

If the SC does not show up for import in the Production stage at this point, create a new Assembly and import that.

timo_renner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Roy,

the 3 standard SCs in fact are not deployed on the runtime systems, as they contain only the WebAS APIs and archives needed for NWDI development. So normally you do not have to import them to TEST and PROD.

If you define a runtime system for stage after a transport, try to use the "Restore System State" button you find at the top right in the transport manager. It should show you the SCAs that you can re-import in the CMS-system again.

Best regards,

Timo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Timo and Pascal,

Thank you for your answeres but I am still a little bit confused.

In that case, why SAP request at each tutorial to import the SCAs which contain the WebAS APIs to EVERY runtime system you define? If what Timo is syaing is correct, than all I really need to di is check these SCAs at the check-in tab only once and I don't need to import them to any runtime system at all. And if this is true than why these SCAs are waiting for import at every runtime system you define?

I know these questions are more theoretical than practical but it is really important for me to fully understand the development process under the NWDI.

Regards,

Roy

timo_renner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Roy,

for the systems DEV and CONS, you always have to import them, as without you won't be able to do development.

For TEST and PROD, there are at the moment no technical reasons for the import of these SCAs. But the CMS doesn't make a difference between SCAs that do not have to be deployed and the ones that have to be deployed (e.g. when you are working with external libraries that come in separate SCAs). The CMS transports all SCA that are checked-in and decides while the import what it has to do with the certain SCA (what can be three steps in DEV/CONS: import, build, deploy, while in TEST/PROD it's only deploy). This can also lead to the situation that no action is performed in a certain stage.

Perhaps there will be a version check implemented in later SPs, so that you will receive a message when trying to import SCAs from another SP level than your runtime system. Then it is mandatory to check this also in TEST and PROD.

Best regards,

Timo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Timo for the detailed answer.

Answers (0)