cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Template Configuration Tool on NetWeaver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am wondering if we are still supposed to use the "Template Configuration Tool" for NW2004s as we did with the previous NW04 installations. We have completed the installation of SR1 NW 2004s and we have reviewed OSS Note 739788 which states that "The Template Tool is only for use with Netweaver 2004 installations (see below)!".

I understand that we have to run the "Template Installer" from the NWA to either configure locally or connect/register to a remote SLD, etc... but what part of the installation process for EP on NW2004s applies the correct tuning parameters (i.e. ThreadManager, HTTP, JVM Memory, etc...)?

The installation documentation only discusses the Template Installer, not the Template Config Tool.

Is this a manual process now or are the parameters implemented during the installation based on the usage type during the initial install?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated,

Kind regards,

Judson

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Judson,

As you have found outlined in the post-installation steps in the guide, the Template Installer in NWA has replaced the Template Config Tool in SAP NetWeaver 2004s. I have only installed Java, not the Portal, on my laptop PC, but there should be templates for each usage type to my knowledge. Many of the tuning parameters are also taken care of by SAPinst.

Best Regards,

Matt

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Matt, I appreciate your prompt and thorough response. You know what you are talking about and I will take your word for it!

Since you have knowlege of this, please let me expand further.

After posting this last night (and opening a message with SAP),we found that the Template configuration tool is also present in EP7 under the same path as NW04 (\usr\sap\<SAPSID>\SYS\global\TemplateConfig). We cannot currently run the Template installer because we are working on a sandbox and it is currently in a different data center than our target SLD (it will be at least a month before the data centers are consolidated).

Despite any reference to this in NW04s documentation we found the tool to be almost exactly as it was in NW04. With this in mind we successfully ran the config tool this morning. Are there any problems with running this now and then running the Wizard Configuration next month to setup the SLD/NWA? Any other concerns with the way we ran this?

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

The best I can tell you is what it says in the documentaiton and Note 923359:

Important: You cannot use the configuration wizard after

Upgrade

Add-In installation (Exception: Configuration of Usage Type BI-Java can be executed after Add-In Installation)

Additional usage type enablement

System copy

Always install the latest available SPS + Patches before running the CTC.( You can find the latest LMTOOLS Patch at http://service.sap.com -> SAP Support Portal -> Downloads (Tab) -> Downloads (Menue) -> Support Packages and Patches -> Search for Support Packages and Patches -> Search for: LMTOOLS*P -> Download and Save the .sca. Apply the patch by using the SDM.)

The sequence is:

1. Installation

2. Install latest SPS + Patches (if available)

3. Run configuration wizard.

You can run the configuration wizard only once for initial configuration.

In these cases, you need to perform the corresponding configuration steps as described in the configuration documentation.

So if you do nothing to the system over the next month -- i.e. just like a new installation -- I would say you are ok. Otherwise, perform the steps manually.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much. It makes sense - it's just that it was not mentioned (that tuning parameters are applied with NWA) and there are quite a few params.

At least we did not digress to a manual process

Thanks for your reply.

Kind regards,

Judson

0 Kudos

All, I had the exact same question and came across this message. I haven't found anything supporting that the tuning parameters are included in the "template installer", also called "configuration Wizard" or "CTC". I've read the associated note 923359 and read the help site on it. It is very vague about this aspect as it mainly talks about monitoring and the SLD.

Can you please reference something that confirms this?

When I go to run the template installer it appears it is only going be setting up the NWA/SLD. (note: I haven't run it yet as the SLD isn't accessible as of yet)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

I would tend to agree with you that it is difficult to find explicit documentation that the Configuration Wizard performs tuning parameters, but I can assure you that it does. However, I will try to provide you some references...

-- The 7.0 version of the Configuration Wizard is the latest version, based upon the initial version for NW04. If you look at the Template Configuration Note for NW04 - 739788 - you will find some references to the fact that it is making tuning parameter changes.

-- In Note 923359 and in the Installation documentation, you are warned to only run the Configuration Wizard after a new installation. In other scenarios (system copy, additional usage type, etc.) you are then referenced to the appropriate configuration steps in the help or Solution Manager <i>that the Wizard is performing</i> (given that you are running the appropriate template). When you look at these configuration steps, you will find that tuning parameters are included.

I know that these are not the best references in the world. Perhaps you can also take my word for it, as I have worked with some of the developers on the tool.

Best Regards,

Matt